What lenses allow Z6 focus shifting?

The Z6 manual doesn't mention anything about the type of lens required to do focus shifting, at least not that I could find. (The D850 manual indicates that either an AF-S or an AF-P lens must be used.) Will the Z6 focus shifting work using all three of the following Nikkor lenses:
  • AF-S 105 macro and FTZ
  • 24-70 S f/4
  • 70-300 AF-P and FTZ
Confirmation by anyone who has actually made it happen would be especially appreciated.

Thanks, Bill!

Somewhere I read that the older screwdriver AF lenses would not work as well.

Those lenses won't auto focus with the Z6, so the camera also won't focus shift with them.

60 f/2.8G Micro with the FTZ adapter and it worked fine

I think you're telling me that the focus shifting worked fine, but please confirm.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
I was striving for brevity.... :) Focus shift shooting works just fine with the 60mm f/2.8G Micro lens.

First image is a stack of frames 61 - 70 shot with the neutral picture control and the second image is frame 61 and the last is frame 70. It was one of the first things that I tested with my new Z6.

I plan on doing more focus stacking with Helicon Focus some day soon now. Thanks for jogging my memory about it.

Z6M_0061-70-Neutral.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the first image in the stack

Z6M_0061.JPG

And this is the last frame used

Z6M_0070.JPG

Real Name
Chris
It’s my understanding that as long as it autofocus’ with the camera as normal, then the focus shift shooting will work with it.

Last edited:
It’s my understanding that as long as it autofocus with the camera as normal, then the focus shift shooting will work with it.

That's my understanding too. However, that was my understanding with the D850 until I saw that its manual explicitly says its focus shifting will only work with two types of lenses rather than all lenses that autofocus with that camera. Hence my reason for seeking absolute certainty about the Z cameras.

Last edited:
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for trying, but unfortunately none of those links pertain to using a Z camera, only the D850. That's an important distinction because I'm hoping to confirm compatibility of certain lenses with Z-system focus shifting.

I know. As resources they relate to the menu settings and techniques, which are rather similar across the 2 bodies.

A bit late to the party, but basically you need "G" lenses. The 60mm f2.8 G and the 105mm f2.8 VR "G" are the preferred Nikon Micro lenses. I upgraded from the 60mm f2.8 "D" lens to the "G" lens because any lens which requires a screw drive will not focus shift. All of the lenses in my profile will focus shift.
DG.

Real Name
Doug
I just tried the Nikon 70-300 AF-P VR DX on my Z6 (try saying that after a glass or three of wine) and it seems to work fine (although in DX mode of course). Autofocuses so apparently able to manage the stepper motor. Will try the focus-shift thing this afternoon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom