What lenses can I sell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NANCY, Dec 31, 2005.

1. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    I have the following lens:
    18-200VR
    24- 120 VR
    70-200 VR
    80-400 VR (just ordered it)
    There seems to be a lot of overlapping and I don't want extra lenses I won't use much. I try to keep my life as simple as possible. Notice I said try, as I seem unable to stop myself from ordering lenses. Which lens are superfluous? Help, please.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Hi Nancy sent you a PM
    Please consider only if you wish to sell it

Thanks Dave

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    It's hard to say not knowing what you really want to shoot. But like Paul said, the first one I would let go is the 24-120mm VR. The 18-200mm VR will take the place of this travel lens and I'm sure will outshine it plus add room at both ends.

Did you mean the 80-400mm VR? If you don't need a fast lens or shoot in low light you could drop the 70-200mm VR and just use the 80-400mm. But you would be giving up a wonderful lens in the 70-200mm.

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    1) Sell 24-120VR FIRST.:cool:
    2) Return 80-400VR as soon as you receive it.:eek:
    3) Buy TC-14EII or TC-17EII to provide loger reach of the 70-200VR if you feel you need a longer reach:rolleyes:
    4) KEEP 70-200VR whatever you do!!!:Tongue:
    5) Keep 12-24 f4 providing you want greater wide angle than 18-200, other wise sell the 12-24 f4
    6) keep 18-200 as a walking around lens:BlueHair:
    7) If you want a "top" piece of glass, sell the 12-24 f4 and replace it with 17-55 f2.8. That is my "co-favorite" lens along with 70-200VR. If 17 is not wide enough, keep the 12-24.:Alien:

6. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Thank you all so much. I, too, was thinking the 24-120 was no longer necessary. And, yes, I meant 80-400, not 200. I've made the correction to my initial posting on this thread. I was all set to get rid of the 70-200 but will now think some more about that one.

And, Gadgetguy, you must be a mind reader because I do have the 12-24 and plan to keep it but will think about your recommendations for other lenses in that range.

Thanks again to everyone and Happy New Year.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I think you need to ask first "what do I want to shoot" rather than "what lenses do I need". You already made one expensive mistake.

Having said that, I'd dump the 24-120 and get the 12-24. You lack a good WA.

8. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Besides memory travel shots, I want to shoot flowers, clouds and birds. I have two micro lens that I like and the 18-200 will be my travel lens so that just leaves the clouds and the birds.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Nancy--

You forgot to mention your 60mm.. that's a good one so keep that one...and keep your 70-200VR... you can't go wrong with that when we go to Ding Darling. You can use the 1.4 and 1.7 TC with it...and that makes a good long lens for you...

I think you will use the 80-400VR plenty and even though it's slower than some others it's still a good lens for you to keep for your needs. I use it plenty around here and keep it on my D70s all the time.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you and Molly --and don't forget Myra :biggrin:

10. Sell them all and buy a 200mm F2 and a TC1.4 and a TC1.7!

Ok, seriously now. Keep the 70-200VR. It is a fabulous lens with surpurb bokeh. Here is a shot from last spring using a TC1.7 on my 70-200VR (off whilst on a tripod)

Jay-2-NN-FB-CP-AC.

11. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    That's an amazing picture.

I'm convinced. I'll keep everything but the 24-120. Thanks for all of your help.

12. I agree with above. Sell the 24-120 VR. I have this lens but eventually it will go or..... If I do get a D200 next year then 24-120 VR will go on D70s for my wife. Next lenses in my site our the 70-200 VR and a 1.4TC and then perhaps the 18-200 VR. But in your case you have a nice collection but I suppose it comes down to what you like to shoot.

13. Hi Nancy,

I normally am kind of a snob about lenses and only buy Nikon brand lenses, but I recently picked up a Sigma 10-20 and highly recommend it. In fact I liked it so much, I sold my 12-24 after using it enough to feel comfortable that it was a great lens for wide angle. Also if you like shooting open scenic type photos, consider panoramic photography, Really Right Stuff has some very good and portable equipment. A tad on the pricey side as an initial investment, but very high quality and holds it's value if you decide it is not for you. you can sew images very nicely in PS CS2 and there are other programs once you get more involved if you should decide that is for you.

I have the 18-200 vR and really like it. I think that may be my main lens for most situtions and I am now thinking that I may be able to sell my 70-200 Vr. I have an 85mm f1.4 for those low light situations and there is a point at which you have to just say, enough is enough. You could carry a whole camera shop around with you and as you will learn if you have not already, the right lens is never on the camera for the shot you need at the moment it becomes available. I have not decided whether I am going to keep the 70-200 yet. I will wait until I have experimented with my new loooong lens to see if it will still be neccessary for that reach.

My plan for the future is to just carry the Sigma 10-20, the 18-200 and the 200-400 + TC 1.7 with my D2x (maybe the 85 just in case) and maybe the 10.5 for those really wide shots, since it is so small and probably the 60mm micro and oh yeah, the SB800... also the tripod / monopod/ballhead and the Epson P2000, and batteries...alright I guess that is pretty much the whole camera shop!

I also have a 17-55 and a 70-200 but there is probably no way that I can add these to the already way over weight bag I already will be carrying with the above lenses.

good luck
    So many choices... oh my aching back...

14. Hi Nancy:
    Out of this group I would sell the 24 - 120... It's not that great a lens and the new 18-200 will look after that range.

The next advise I will give is to put a lens on your camera and learn how to use it. Learn were the lens works well and where it is not the best. Every lens has a (sweet spot) learn were they are on your different lens and make it work to your advantage.
    Gaye tells me that you want to get good at this craft... (I should say... EVEN BETTER)
    So learn your gear and then make it work to your advantage.... Remember... It's not the gear that takes a GREAT IMAGE.... It's YOU!
    Good Luck

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hmmmm. I don't agree. The 18-200 lens is an 11X zoom, while the 24-120 is less than half that, 5X. The rule of thumb says that the more range a zoom has, the more difficult it will be to keep all of the various abberations inder control.

My feeling is that folks who own the 24-120 and plan on getting (or have gotten) the 18-200 should check to be sure the new lens delivers the quality they want. The 24-120 is an awfully sharp lens with very decent bokeh for a lens as slow as it is. Oh I know the 24-120 has a bad rep, but I prefer to let my examples do the talking:
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/stories/2004/09/07/photosTakenWithThe24120vrN.html

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nancy,

I agree with points that Doug and Chris have made. I wouldn't sell any of them until you have truly had a chance to shoot with them enough to know which ones work best for the type of shooting that you do. There does seem to be some overlap between the 18-200 and 24-120, but you may find that you actually prefer the latter, and you aren't going to get much more than $450 or so for it anyway.

I'd shoot a lot with what you have and then decide. :smile:

17. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Doug, Chris, and Flew,
    You are all correct. I need to stop buying lens and start using the ones I have more. I had never heard of a sweet spot for each lens. That is so interesting. What fun to try to find it. How will I recognize it????
    I need to stop going to the B & H site so much and read every word written on this Forum, even though I don't understand half of what you are all talking about. One day I will. That's my New Year's Resolution.

18. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nancy :

The sweet spot for any given type of lens varies, but it's usually where the overall sharpness is maximised across as much of the field as possible while also holding contrast to desirable levels. However, there's a better discussion by lens (Nikon) at : http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html . Bjørn does a fine job in addressing the strengths and weaknesses of lenses, and for some lenses, has done some bang-up comparisons and considerations of sweet spots in detail including graphs.

In general, most lenses start to improve a stop or two down from wide-open, that being part of the reason for buying "fast glass", so that one can stop down a bit and still keep a desired shutter speed. But the overall range of "sweet spots" is a more complex issue that Bjørn captures.

Heh. Well, I have the same feeling a lot of the time. Learning new things is one of the more fun aspects of being a part of the Cafe, IMO.

John P.

19. The first lens I sold was my 24-120...well traded it for the 28-70 2.8

20. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Thanks, John. I just went to that site and almost had a heart attack when I saw the picture of all of those lens. I started foaming at the mouth, my heart sped up and my hand automatically started typing out the B & H address.. I forced myself to look away and printed the article. Now I'm going downstairs and read it while watching the Bucs beat the Saints (probably in my dreams).