What lenses do I take?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TedB, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I'm soliciting your recommendations of what lenses to take on an upcoming vacation to Austria, Switzerland, and a bit of Germany. My goal is to minimize the equipment and weight, without being so limited to miss photo opportunities due to a major hole in my lens selection/strategy. I've never been to these locations so I'm guessing at this. I'm thinking that landscapes, buildings, and maybe some interior shots of buildings would be what I would be finding...

What I'm considering for a kit for a D2X, D2HS, and tripod are:
    -70-200AFS my all around standby lens
    -12-24 wide for buildings etc
    -28 1.4 fast for interior shots

Other lens options include:
    35 1.4 and 2.0
    45 2.8
    50 1.2, and 1.4
    80 1.4
    17-35 2.8
    70-180 micro

I know most of you are far more experienced at traveling with gear than I am so I'm very open to your suggestions. I've also considered the distinct possibility that I'm "overthinking" this, but this is not a typical trip for us....so I'm appealing to the photo gurus.....

Thanks
    Ted

2. here's my suggestion:
    d2x, 12-24, 28 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 vr, tripod. should cover you for all your needs. leave the d2hs at home.

btw, nice collection you got there.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I would second the leaving of the D2Hs at home. I would take the 12-24mm and 70-200mm for sure. My third lens would either be the 28mm that you listed or the 50mm.

4. I would go with what you have, but as stated, drop the second body, and add the 50 1.4 to fill the 28-70 gap.

5. I made a trip to Vienna, Prague and Budapest for a vacation with my wife. The trip was wonderful, but it got a bit warm and I was carrying too much equipment. I had a D2x, 70-200, 10-20, 17-55, 10.5 a Gitzo tripod, a compliment of batteries, flash cards, flashes and other assorted stuff. I had to use a rolling camera bag and I also had a shoulder bag as an option. By the end of each day, I was exhausted and flat worn out. If I were to do it again, I would carry either a Sigma 10-70 or a Nikon 10.5 plus a Nikon 18-200mm, a couple of batteries and CF cards, a CP filter and a monopod and that is it.

I probably did not take as many pictures because I was always changing lenses and so tired, I couldn't muster the strength to go up some hills that I would have gone up if I had less of a load.

If you are in extremely good shape and don't have a spouse or companion that wants to just sightsee without worrying about "getting the shot" and waiting for you to set up the tripod or change lenses to get that castle or boat or what ever, take everything you can carry, but my advice is to keep it as light and simple as possible, especially if you are going somewhere where the weather is hot and or humid.

good luck.

6. Having been to that area, I definitely recommend only one body, and the 3 lenses you suggested: 12-24, 28 and 70-200.

7. Thank you for all your replies!

I never even considered leaving the HS at home.....but based on your comments I will.....now after thinking about it I'm not sure what I really would have used it for......this will definitely lighten the load.

Given that drop, I may add in the 50mm to fill the gap.

Thanks again,

Ted

8. I had to purchase a D200 in Vienna to replace the (failed) ONE body I took on my European "trip of a lifetime". May I suggest keeping a backup body on the list? My 12-24 and 35-70 did most of the work, but the 10.5 Fisheye and 50mm f1.4 saw some work in the dark cathedrals. I did not miss anything longer than the 35-70.