What lenses to bring for weeklong citytrip?

Hey everyone,

I need some advice on what to bring on a week long city trip to New York. I'm getting it insured beforehand, so I can't make much last-minute changes to my set-up.

Pretty sure I'll be taking the D700 and 50mm 1.2, but what else should I take?
I'll be going with some friends, so there will be some portraits, but we'll also be visiting some monuments and museums (so maybe I need something wider than the 50?)

Thanks!

Add the 24. Rent/buy an 85 0r 105 2.8

Honestly with group travel, one good zoom is what you need. I would really consider the D80 18/70 + 50 1.2

Your 24mm is mandatory :) The 50 will be nice too, although personally I would skip it for a moderate tele.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I think you're going to need the 50mm for low light situations if you do interior shots (where you can't use a flash).

I don't think the 70-300 will be as useful to you as your 18-70, so IMO, I would take the 24, the 50, and the 18-70.

Hey everyone,

I need some advice on what to bring on a week long city trip to New York. I'm getting it insured beforehand, so I can't make much last-minute changes to my set-up.

Pretty sure I'll be taking the D700 and 50mm 1.2, but what else should I take?
I'll be going with some friends, so there will be some portraits, but we'll also be visiting some monuments and museums (so maybe I need something wider than the 50?)

Thanks!
What is your shooting style and interest?

I Would like something real wide for the architecture and something longer than 50 for some details (and portraits on the D700 in your case)...

I think you're going to need the 50mm for low light situations if you do interior shots (where you can't use a flash).

I don't think the 70-300 will be as useful to you as your 18-70, so IMO, I would take the 24, the 50, and the 18-70.
+1

I shoot often in NYC and find wider is better than long. I usually bring a 17-35 and a 35-70 on my D700 and it covers just about everything.

The 300mm tele will have a non-camera limitation. The air (humidity, pollen, and other stuff) will start to cut image quality over several blocks' distance, so your sharpest pictures will be relatively close in. Perhaps zoom to isolate a person or a small detail area of a building, but not to pull in the tall building 5 miles away. Usually, though, I've used wider lenses when in NYC.

Thank you all for your advice!

Like I said before, some portraits but mostly architecture and cityscapes.

So currently I'm thinking 24 - 50 - 150mm?

I suppose I could bring the 18-70 instead of the 150, but that is a DX lens (and I'm a bit of a pixel peeper).

I think the fisheye would give you the neatest perspective of NY, but that is just me. As others have mentioned, I would go with the wide angle lenses and leave the long lenses at home.

Good luck

If you're comfortable and relatively quick with MF the 50 is nice. Maybe the 10.5 to mix it up a bit and get some fun/wacky shots with your friends?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom