What lenses were used?

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by Chayelle, Apr 5, 2007.

1. This "Thread" is really great! Enjoying very much
    the comradery and the wonderful shots, but this is
    a photography forum and as I am still in the learning
    process it would be nice to see a bit about the pictures,
    such as what lenses were used...

Thanks and keep them coming........

2. I used four lenses I think (not counting the ones I tried out that belonged to other members). There were times I wished I had something wider than my 18-70 kit lens. The first year I only had the 18-70 and the 70-300G. Last year I had the 70-200VR and I borrowed a TC (thanks Flew!). Every year I have had fun and learned a lot. This year I had more stuff...but what is still important is that you just get out there and have fun. I hope nobody ever has second thoughts about joining us because of their kit...this group is about people, not their gear!

For the wildlife/bird shots I used my “new to me” 300 f/2.8 plus a 1.4 teleconverter. I have an older version of this Nikon lens and I think Bourbon Cowboy is the only other person here I have seen currently with this lens…and he was there with us. How cool is that?
    [​IMG]

Most of my people pictures were with the 70-200VR, which is my favorite people lens. I like shooting people longer because I tend to get better candids from a little farther away. Here are a couple at about 150mm:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What little I did at the garden (and notice I haven’t posted any flowers) I used the 70-200VR, plus 1.4TC and used the SB-800 flash a little. I did really well with this combo last year at the butterfly house (which isn’t open yet this year). I borrowed a 1.4 TC for this last year, and I wouldn’t have imagined that it would be useful…but it was.
    This is from last year:
    [​IMG]

I used the 18-70 “kit lens” and a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for some other people and misc pictures.
    [​IMG]

3. Mason...
    this is such a helpful explanation of your lens usage!
    We mainly shoot long glass and there is so much other glass
    being used, by the looks in the pics.
    I have been trying to study the shorter and wider use lenses,
    (I did not recognize the glass from the pics) except a few long lenses.
    Thanks so much for your great pics and explanation!

BTW: really enjoying these postings!

4. Makes sense Cheryle.
    I have edited all my posts in this section to indicate lenses used (I usually do, it is just that there were so many :smile: ).
    If you would like more detailed information about a particular image, just let me know.

Also, you may want to get Opanda for your web browser, it will give you all that information at a right-click of your mouse (for images with EXIF data, which I now do following a request some months ago from someone)

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Nikon 85 1.4:
    [​IMG]

Sigma 150 f2.8 macro:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sigma 120-300 f2.8
    [​IMG]

From Last Year:
    [​IMG]

Alice took these with the 18-200 VR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. awsome ya'll! Wonderful knowing what all these lenses can do!

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I didn't take too many pictures over the course of the weekend, but the few that I did were taken with the D200 and 105VR.

140534452-L.

140534522-L.

140534364-L.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    For birdie shots, the 400 2.8 + 1.4 TC. For flower shots, the 70-200VR + 1.4 TC. :smile:

9. I'm glad you asked, because I am curious too. I used to peek at EXIF all the time, but my hosting site (SmugMug) strips it from all but the original sized image.

If you can think of it, some variant was probably there. Frits had his cool manual lenses and he produces the most beautiful pictures. 10.5 fisheye to the 600mm + TC, with a bunch of macros thrown in, too!

10. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Chayelle,

I used maybe three lenses all weekend. I will go back to my posts later and add the lens info to them, but I am heading into a meeting now. For the most part I used:

Duck pond shots - Nikon 70 - 200 VR + 1.4 TC

Botanical Garden - Tamron 180 Macro

Sommer's Camp Site - Nikon 24-85 F/3.5-4.5

As Mason stated, if there is a particular image of mine you want more info on, please just ask.

11. Thanks!

Thanks for that heads up about Opanda.
    Will check that out...

I have been viewing the updated pictures and it is so helpful to have the info.
    I realize with all the pictures this request might be a bit of a pain, but thanks
    alot... really appreciated.

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't shoot alot either, too busy chatting with buddies. But this shot of Larry was taken with a 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR...

And this shot of Joe and Jennifer's daughter was taken with a 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S VR...
    View attachment 88613

13. I haven't started post-processing my images yet, but now that I have seen this thread I'll be mindful to add which lens I used for which situation...
    Basically, I used the 300mm f/2.8 VR, the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR and the 105mm VR for most of the shooting at the Duck Pond, Dam, and Botanical Gardens. I also pulled out the 17-35mm and the 60mm at the Botanical Gardens, if I remember correctly. "Bertha," the 200mm f/2, also had a bit of fun at the Pavilion at the Botanical Gardens, not only in my hands, but in those of Frits, Patrick, Mason, Frank..... :smile: I don't recall offhand which lenses I used on Friday evening at the Meet-and-Greet -- the Beast (28-70mm) was one, but I know I swapped lenses at least twice.

At the Safari Park I used the 12-24mm very briefly, but it was too wide, so then I popped the Beast on (appropriate, eh? The Beast shooting the beasts!). The zoom was definitely an advantage. I used the D80 at the Safari Park because it was smaller and lighter, a little easier to work with in that situation. Throughout the trip, though, the D2Xs and the D200 got the most use. Usually I had the D2Xs on the tripod with the 300mm f/2.8 VR at the Duck Pond and the Dam, and then used the 70-200mm VR on the D200 to run around getting people shots. A couple of times, though, I did swing the big lens around on the gimbal head and get people with it, too, though.

Lens info will be available to me when I'm post-processing the images and I'll include it with the photos. Good idea to ask us for this info, as it is a valuable learning tool and resource to see which lenses work well in specific shooting situations.

14. Some 70-200VR; most duck pond and dam shots Bigma, botanical close-ups 105VR, the rest, the Beast.

Rich

15. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    My botanical garden shots were shot with the Tokina 12-24, the Nikon 70-200VR. The macros were taken with the 70-200VR with the canon 500D close-up filter.

16. I used only two

lenses for all my shots. The 70-200 f/2.8 VR and the 17-55 f/2.8. They were mounted on my D200.

17-55 @ 40 mm f/5.6 1/400 ISO 200 EV 0.0

original.

70-200 VR @ 200 mm f/5.6 1/100 ISO 400 EV -1/3

View attachment 88615

17-55 @ 17 mm f/5.6 1/60 ISO 400 EV -1/3 with SB-800 flash aimed at ceiling

View attachment 88616