What light stands...?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ShaunK, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Well, since my last thread got 50+ views and no help :confused:  maybe I asked too much to handle in one post. I'll narrow it down. I've decided to go with two umbrellas, one white w/ removable back, and one silver, for more options. My problem is that I can't seem to find any 8' stands for less that $50-$60. Are there any? Or should I just bite the bullet? I just need regular, lightweight ones. And... what bracket would you recommend to attach both umbrellas and flashes to the light stands? Thanks! :smile:

2. JimCo

JimCo

Feb 16, 2006
    Sublimity, Oregon
    Check the eBay stores. Sometimes they have some pretty cheap lightweight stands. They also have a lightweight nylon/plastic umbrella bracket to match.

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
  4. check B & H for a set of two of everything for $99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. BillRogers

BillRogers Guest

In my opinion, people began reading your original query, but when they got to the part about $500, they moved on. Good lighting equipment is obscenely expensive, in my opinion, and $500 won't buy much. If you buy cheap equipment to begin with, it may end up costing more in the long run when you have to replace it in a year or two. At that price level, I'd use one SB-800, one umbrella, one light stand, and one reflector.

6. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    I have been real happy with both my light (2212) and medium (2214) Photoflex lightstands. They are going for $48 and $52, respectively. I use them with medium and large softboxes.

7. Now those look good. Why didn't I think of AB??? I was just looking thru B&H, etc. :smile:

I have looked at those deals, but I would prefer larger umbrellas, I'm looking for 43"-45", kind of do-it-all ones.

Will have to check them out. Where did you purchase them at?

8. It may not buy much, but I don't need much... I've been reading the strobist website a lot lately, and agree or not, he does make a compelling case for cheap lighting being used effectively. As pointed out in my previous post, I already have the SB-800 AND and SB-28. All I wanted advice for was the umbrellas, stands, clamps, and MAYBE wireless stuff, which I have decided to go with the 16 channel E-bay triggers for starters. Sure, I may have to upgrade, but on my budget, I have no other choice. It's either buy cheaply now, but at least be able to start learning and experimenting, or wait wait wait to buy the good stuff right away and have wasted all that time of trial and error.

9. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    Those were today's prices at Ad or ama. I think I paid the same.

10. Hi Reptile Guy, I just ordered a Bogen 3373. I been reading that Strobist site and see if I can do it his way.

11. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    Check out the Calumet stands. Their 8' stand is 40 bucks I believe, and from what I hear they are built exceptionally well.

12. Thanks, Andrew... they weem to have decent prices on lots of stuff... more research...:tongue:

13. jebster

jebster

Mar 8, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Jeff
    Hey Shaun,

Cheap is OK but remember what you're putting on the lightstands aren't cheap!

Go for quality, its a safe bet! Beside when you graduate to strobes you won't have to buy new stands.

Bogen 3333s - 9 ft stands are around $60 and will hold 11 pounds. They are big when folded about 35". Bogen 3330s are 6ft also hold 11 pounds but fold to 29".

I think Calumet stands are made by bogen ? But check to make sure.

Keep an eye out for stands on the craigslist.com too! You can find some great deals on equipment there!

Jeff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.