What Makes A Forum Fun????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, Jun 19, 2005.

1. As one of the charter members of the Nikon Cafe I have often thought about what makes this forum fun. Sure it is the congeniality of the members and the willingness to help one another but when it gets right down to it is the image posting and what we can learn from others. Being one of the most prolific posters on the forum (OK Flew, Photo Dawg and Gale, you have me beat) I would like to encourage others to respond to posts that are made. A quick scan of some current posts indicate that in many instances over a hundred have viewed some of the posts with only a very few comments. It doesn't take much time to respond to an image post and gives a boost to the photographer. This encouragement helps the photographer to improve.

We also have many new members that have never made even one post. :cry: If you are shy to post your image, get involved by making comments on posts made by others. Don't just be a lurker, get your feet wet by jumping into the pool. It's fun and it is also helpful to those that post their images. We have all levels of photographers here at the Nikon Cafe and I can attest to the fact that getting involved makes you a better photographer. I remember one lady who tentatively made her first ever post here at the Cafe and was disappointed because she received no or few comments. I always made sure to comment on her posts with encouragement and mild critique. She has blossomed into a first rate photographer and is a regular contributer both with images and with comment on other posts.

I hope this will encourage some of you to get involved. :) :)

2. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

I agree, sometimes I get a bit lazy. I look at a lot of posts I could answer to.

First I'll start here ;)

Joel.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Ok I'm guilty...I'm in the top 25 of total posts but there are times that I click on a picture thread posted here and just have writers block. And during this move when I hit the Cafe I seem to spend most of my time reading the upper half of the site and skip the photo threads due to limited time.

The Cafe is a great site and I wanted everyone to feel welcome and free to share ideas and pictures. Gordon is right, we can all pick it up a bit.

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I feel pretty dumb sometimes when I make a post in a thread and it's kind of off the wall.

But hey, it's me....

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Paul, I always enjoy your posts and look to them as honest critique. Keep it up.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Keep the good times going gang.

HUMOR is a great thing also...

HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL THE DAD'S

8. Gregory, I think most of us enjoy your candor. Post away.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. I totally agree with you Gordon,

..... so let's get ourselfs together, go out there to post......

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
    Most of the times, it takes me ages to get the phrase or writing right, but my english keeps improving! Thanks to the glorious Spell Check!

11. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Agreed Gordon
    Agreed mcs (spell check indeed helps alot)

Over at the "other forum" I've been helped a lot by asking "Rip me apart"much learned there,that's something I miss over hee
    Perhaps I 'll ask for it again.

Anyway I like it here,good to see there are so many in a short time

12. I guess sometimes I am hesitant to post since I am kind of new here and am needing to learn a lot so I guess I am a bit of a poster/lurker. I lurk to learn things from posts and photos. Usually I don't comment on images I have seen because I feel a bit foolish posting something that I don't really know what I am talking about. I just don't have the knowledge in photography to critique a photo or give feedback. Most images are WOW to me but I feel stupid saying that over and over again. So I guess a better vocabulary would help me post too.

As for what makes the community....its the people that post. Plain and simple.

To sum up what I said in a shorter way. I just am not sure what to say as it seems I am repeating myself. Great! Good! Something along those lines....

13. I know what you mean Elliot!

But if you find a Images great, then why not learn more about making such a Picture?

There is a simple way, just ask: what Lens, setup, lighting etc.

I think most Posters (I think a lot of "PROs" are here) would be happy to share their wisdom!

That's one more Way, to make such a forum fun!

Just a suggestion, I don't want to lecture anyone :wink: :oops:

14. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Who we are as photographers is a result of what we've learned. I know this from experience because I'm learning every day. I started out very shy and reserved here on this forum. I didn't respond much to other posts and I didn't have many responses to my posts. But the more I responded the more I realized I actually was learning from viewing the shots, seeing what worked for me in other people's pictures, viewing the data as to what gear was used and how it was used...And as I started learning this I started responding even more and now I feel I'm better than I was when first signed up for the NikonCafe. And I've got all the members here to thank for that. I take some pretty decent shots now...not all of them are great, but like I said before, I'm still learning...and that's the great thing, I'll continue to learn and I'll continue to post and it's an endless cycle I'm happy to repeat!

It's important to give feedback to each other...even if you think your feedback isn't "pro", give it anyway....the person on the receiving end will be thankful...I know I always am...To each and every person who gives it.

15. Thanks for your posts all. Leigh, I have watched your progress from your first post until now and I will say that your have really made progress. You have some wonderful posts and we can now learn from many of your images. That is the way photography is, a series of small steps to perfection.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Being a Novice, beginner, advanced, pro matters not...

If you don't remark on your vision no one learns. Different ideas and way to look at things is what we all need.

Post away.

Tell what and how you see and what you might do.

Come on help us all out.

After all you did get a camera to SEE and record.

share your opinions. Colors you like etc.....

Photo manulipulations like photoshop. We all want to learn.

17. Thanks for your post Gale and you are one that lives by your words. If I am not mistaken you fall second or third on the list of most prolific posters. We appreciate you.

When you think about it how would any of us feel if he had a party and no one came. That is the same when we post images, we want someone to look and comment. Even if it is just to say "this is so ordinary." At least this gives us something to work on.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I would like to say that each one of you has my encouragement to comment on the images that I post...whether good or not so good. I have only been shooting digitally since this past December...only six short months...there is plenty that I need to learn. And with regard to using PhotoShop Elements 3...talk about being out of my comfort zone?!?!?!? I need the critiques, I need someone to give some direction, I learn when someone offers pointers on how they would do something different if they were shooting the image or adjusting an image on the computer. I haven't witnessed any disregard for other members feelings by making rude statements, so this is the perfect forum to get involved where can all enjoy the heck out of ourselves in search of the total fulfillment of photography.
    I did not participate in the last photo contest and I am mad as heck at myself. What fun it must have been to await the tallies to see who scored the best. I had an image in mind but I didn't take the initiative to put the shot together...shame on me! I missed out on the enjoyment of what it would have taken to put the image together, I missed the comradrie of the members commenting on the images, I missed the opportunity to be a better member of this forum. I hope to learn from my mistake...I'm having a ball here with all of you who participate and I hope more of you will jump in and help make this forum the venue that the administrators hoped that it would be!! And maybe someday. my wife will extend the length of my leash so I can meet up with many of you for a day/weekend of shooting in some scenic location.

Whew......(jumping down from my soapbox)

19. Thanks for your support of the forum Frank, I know that we all appreciate your comments and posts no matter what level you feel you are at.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great thread Gordon. Glad you are back from Italy. Your smiling face and positive outlook are always a welcome sight.