What makes a professional photographer?

Hi, I'm just wondering. What criteria makes a professional photographer?

I can't find anything on the web that would tell me what a professional photographer is. It certainly isn't the quality of work because I've seen cases where pro photographers looks a lot like amateur. I have some people I've done work for that tell me my work is better than some pros. So... what criteria makes a professional photographer?

i would say the same qualifier as any other trade, sport, or hobby ...the compensation of one's services/skills/specialty for profit.

Basically, a business license and/or selling prints for a proft. That is the dry and short answer. Than there's probably more elaborate ideas of what "it" could be.
(My bratty brother, who has a photography degree and shoots with a Hasselblad H3D would disagree with me)

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bright Angel

Take photo ... take money.
Short and sweet :wink:

Professional Photographer - The second oldest job in the World :rolleyes:
I bet some Professionals on here sometimes think it's the ..... :biggrin:
(By the way they've been treated)

over 1/2 of your income from job=pro. Meaning you can live at the poverty level and still be a 'pro'.
Despite what some may try and lead you to believe pro does not always equate to some heaven sent skill any more than your equipment does.

over 1/2 of your income from job=pro. Meaning you can live at the poverty level and still be a 'pro'.
Despite what some may try and lead you to believe pro does not always equate to some heaven sent skill any more than your equipment does.

Not sure it should require half your income to come from it to be considered a professional. If you're going like that, Tiger Woods isn't a professional golfer. More than half his salary comes from endorsements... so he'd be a professional advertiser. :)

From Merriam Webster
1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

Considering that I drive to and from work every day in all that crazy traffic in NYC does that make me a professional driver? I agree with the comments made by the others.........getting paid for your services (even if it's a part-time venture).

Hi, I'm just wondering. What criteria makes a professional photographer?

I can't find anything on the web that would tell me what a professional photographer is. It certainly isn't the quality of work because I've seen cases where pro photographers looks a lot like amateur. I have some people I've done work for that tell me my work is better than some pros. So... what criteria makes a professional photographer?

I would think, as in many professions
Knowledge
Experience
Ability to do the job
Education(?)
Continuing education
Would someone say " he's a real pro "

Just having a camera, and being able to take good photos, does not qualifyanyone as a pro. It may qualify you as someone who can take a descent photo.

Most folks with Digital cameras , would like to be considered alot better than they really are.

i would not disagree that tiger woods is a professional advertiser.

He is a professional athlete (who gets paid to be in ads)...the definition of a "professional advertiser" isnt someone who makes money via ads...its more someone in marketing who comes up with the ads.

Real Name
Chris
I'll go along with the definition that a pro is anyone who gets paid to shoot. But the term pro also implies that one has the skills necessary to stay in business. If you are a hack and do a poor job, even if you get paid, word will spread, and nobody will hire you, and you won't be a pro for long.

On the other hand, an amateur is someone who does it for the love of it. Amateurs can be as good as anyone can get, or they can muddle along pleasing nobody but them selves.

I think most professional photographers are cynical introverted people who are so consumed by getting the shot that they detach themselves from the rest of the world in order to see things from the outside. Oh and they make money doing it! That's my definition.

S

scooptdoo

there you have it.as clear as a bell.

I buy into the the term "Professional Photographer" meaning working full-time as a photographer, and not having any other means of support.

A professional photographer gets paid to provide photographic services for his/her clients.

They belong to a professional organizations, pay dues, and pay for insurance. They market themselves, develop business strategies, and pay taxes. They do their own billing, collections, and accounts payable. On top of all this, a professional photographer has the skills to increase their business, year after year.

Some photographers, hover around the poverty line, while some (very few) photographers are in it for well over seven figures a year.

Just because someone sells a couple of prints here and there, does not make them a professional.

I realize there are many "weekend warriors" out there, who do a very good job (even better than some pros), and earn a nice second income, but in that, it is a second income.

Just my .02, from a full-time professional

Latest threads

Top Bottom