What mouse are you using?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I use the MX Anywhere 2S on my laptop. It's a great mouse. I'm sure you will be happy with the MX Anywhere 3 on your laptop.
My new MX Anywhere 3 arrived today. The main change compared to the 2S seems to have been to make the wheel button work as a proper button. This, combined with customisation for various programs is marvellous. For example Photoshop now has a proper pan feature using just a mouse (something Adobe themselves don't provide). I just hold down the middle button and pan around, no need to press the spacebar. It is also a more convenient weight and size than older mice, and never needs batteries.
I don't think I'll be able to resist buying two more of them...

The M705 I bought cheaply on eBay has now arrived. I'm pleased to say it turned out to be the superior original model of the M705. It has the extra hidden button. It feels solid and works perfectly.
The wheel is rather noisy unless one disengages the teeth by pressing the button on the top.

I spent some time investigating mice and have ordered a Logitech MX Anywhere 3. This works on any surface including glass so would be good for my travelling laptop. I considered the Logitech MX Master 3 but it looks rather bulky and heavy.
I ended up going to the store the other day, and they had several of the mice on display that we've talked about here. I ended up going with the MX master 3. If I remember correctly, there wasn't a whole lot of difference size, it was a bit slimmer, and weight wise between the two. Hopefully today I'll have a little time between nachos and pumpkin pie to give it a spin.

My mistake. There is quite a bit of difference.

MX Master 3 Mouse
  • Height: 4.92 in (124.9 mm)
  • Width: 3.32 in (84.3 mm)
  • Depth: 2.01 in (51 mm)
  • Weight: 4.97 oz (141 g)
MX Anywhere 3
  • Height: 1.35 in (34.4 mm)
  • Width: 2.56 in (65 mm)
  • Depth: 3.96 in (100.5 mm)
  • Weight: 3.49 oz (99 g)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My mistake. There is quite a bit of difference.

MX Master 3 Mouse
  • Height: 4.92 in (124.9 mm)
  • Width: 3.32 in (84.3 mm)
  • Depth: 2.01 in (51 mm)
  • Weight: 4.97 oz (141 g)
MX Anywhere 3
  • Height: 1.35 in (34.4 mm)
  • Width: 2.56 in (65 mm)
  • Depth: 3.96 in (100.5 mm)
  • Weight: 3.49 oz (99 g)
They can both be configured in the same way for specific applications, the benefits of panning in Photoshop for example are the same. I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

The main difference between them is the Master 3's horizontal scroll on the thumb side. The Anywhere 3 can do horizontal scroll by holding down the front thumb button (the forward button) and rotating the nomal wheel. That works pretty well as well. I went for the smaller size and weight. The Master 3 doesn't cost hugely more, they are both quite expensive mice.

I'm so pleased with it I've now ordered two more, my two main desktop machines will have the graphite ones and the laptop will have the light grey one (which is the one I have already). I can't imagine many people wanting the pink one.

I'm using the M705 original model both at home and at work.
Really please with it.

The M705 I bought cheaply on eBay has now arrived. I'm pleased to say it turned out to be the superior original model of the M705. It has the extra hidden button. It feels solid and works perfectly.
The wheel is rather noisy unless one disengages the teeth by pressing the button on the top.

I spent some time investigating mice and have ordered a Logitech MX Anywhere 3. This works on any surface including glass so would be good for my travelling laptop. I considered the Logitech MX Master 3 but it looks rather bulky and heavy.

This mouse is really the "cat's meow." It is so smooth, and the programming options are nice. While I still think $99 is a lot to pay for a mouse, it sure makes using one enjoyable. I also like the ability to use it on multiple computers. At the push of a button, I can switch between using it on my desktop or laptop.
I'm in the process of upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 on my desktop, so I haven't yet had a chance to use it for editing. I'm sure it will be more than adequate.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Oh, I'm way too frugal to replace a $100 mouse just because I like a different color.
It is the MX Anywhere 3 that can come in the pink colour, not the MX Master 3. They seem to think the larger heavier Master is male, and the smaller neater Anywhere is female - how incredibly sexist!
They don't call it pink, they call it rose, not logical because roses come in lots of colours, one could call it rose pink. Here is it On Amazon.com
It is only $70 not 100. And the middle button works properly as a middle button unlike the 2S so you have another excuse to buy it. Here it is...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is the MX Anywhere 3 that can come in the pink colour, not the MX Master 3. They seem to think the larger heavier Master is male, and the smaller neater Anywhere is female - how incredibly sexist!
They don't call it pink, they call it rose, not logical because roses come in lots of colours, one could call it rose pink. Here is it On Amazon.com
It is only $70 not 100. And the middle button works properly as a middle button unlike the 2S so you have another excuse to buy it. Here it is...

View attachment 1674652
I have that mouse in black for my laptops. It’s a great mouse! I think they have a rose keyboard to match the mouse.

Ask Santa Claus to bring the rose mouse to you for Christmas, Terri! :)

I guess I'm spoiled by my sleek, elegant, smooth Apple Magic Mouse II -- no need for buttons and scroll wheels, my finger does the scrolling, clicking, tapping and such quite nicely!!
[/QUOTE
Maybe you don't know what you are missing. I have not missed my Apple Magic Mouse at all since I went with logitec. I know you are a huge Apple fan, as am I, but this is one area where I feel that a different company has the edge. You can program so many different functions into the buttons and wheels. I've customized mine for my job and it is a huge timesaver.

You can program so many different functions into the buttons and wheels.
My trackball has four buttons, all of which can be custom-programmed, and no wheel. I use only one of the buttons and it's set at its default setting. That's partly because I could never remember the function assigned to each button. It's also partly because I'm so uncoordinated that I can effectively use only one button.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My trackball has four buttons, all of which can be custom-programmed, and no wheel. I use only one of the buttons and it's set at its default setting. That's partly because I could never remember the function assigned to each button. It's also partly because I'm so uncoordinated that I can effectively use only one button.
I can fully understand that, but the default settings for the applications are intuitive on the Logitech. The mouse knows which program is running and automatically uses the appropriate behaviour. For example the two side buttons are, when running a browser, forward and backward, so you can go back to the previous page or forward again. Those same buttons when using Word are Undo and Redo, so same sort of idea. The best of all is that when in Photoshop, you can hold down the middle (wheel) button and the hand appears and you can drag the image around without needing to touch the keyboard. Adobe never got around to adding this common feature so its software, but now the mouse software makes it appear. I have set the little button on the top to always make Windows toggle to Task View - where all the open windows appear as small versions at once on the screen, and you click on the one you want to switch to.

Last edited:
I don't feel a need to "program" my mouse in any way, although, yes, there are features on the Magic Mouse II that I don't use, I just don't need them. I like things to be uncomplicated and I appreciate that in a mouse, something that I do use every day and half the night! My Magic Mouse II is BT and native to the Apple products with which it works, no need for some dongle doohickey that has to be plugged into a port or a separate charging stand, whatever. Years ago, back in my Windows days, I had various mice that had scroll wheels, buttons and other bits and pieces which I found cumbersome and awkward, especially since I wasn't interested in most of the additional features and functions.

All that said, I will add, though, that there is one feature of the Magic Mouse II which most of us don't like but we've gotten accustomed to it, and that is that in order to charge it one has to turn the thing upside down and plug in the cable, which then of course means that it cannot be used while it is charging. Annoying, but not insurmountable, there are ways around this, such as paying attention to when it is getting close to needing to be charged up, and timing that so it can be done overnight while one is asleep or while one is away from the computer for a couple of hours. This strategy doesn't always work out, though, so then there's the simple method of having a second, duplicate Magic Mouse II all charged and ready to go when the one working on the computer needs to be recharged. I simply grab the fresh mouse, then plug in the other one to let it charge, and carry on with whatever I'm doing....

Muscle memory, and suffering from the same afflictions as Mike, memory and klutziness (which may or may not be age related!) make me shy away from too many buttons. I used Logitech mice for years when I worked (the Univ. had special deals on them) but I rarely used all their features. Besides, lounging with a glass of wine in a recliner or lawn chair, I much prefer the trackpad on my MBP (and I can't remember all of its shortcuts either, :rolleyes: ).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom