What name would you give to this lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry S., Jul 11, 2005.

1. The discussion on the name of "The Beast" reminded me of a very special lens that has never been mentioned here.

IMO - the name "Beast" for the AFS 28-70 is well given. There is no other midrange zoom with such an intimidating appearance.

But - what name would you give to the
    Kilfitt Super Zoomatar 240mm/f1.2?
    I have no picture ready of that monster but it's really big.

Heinz Kilfitt designed a few other superfast lenses but this one (introduced in 1970) is surely the most exotic lens I have ever seen.
    Here's a link to a pic of the 180mm/f1.3. The 240 looks similar only muuuch bigger.
    http://www.kilfitt.org/Lenses/Zoomar_180.htm

Ready for drooling? :lol: :lol:
    Cheers

2. Henk

Henk Guest

WOW! you won't want to put that in anyone's face on an average day of streetcandid shooting ;-) I'm afraid it wouldn't render any friends...

3. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I vote Gorgoroth the Destroyer, or Timmy for short. ;)

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    For a nick, I'd suggest the Belugatharian.

5. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Hubble telescope? :?

Leave the sherpa at home. You're definitely gonna need a pair of oxens to haul that thing anywhere. :shock:

6. Testosteroptic compensator!

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Godzilla

8. How about...Deathstar? :p

9. Isn't Kilfitt (kill fit) the best? I guess the makers got it right the first time out :wink:

10. A lot of good suggestions so far. When first learned about this lens about a year ago, such names as "Fat Boy" or "Fat Lady" (depends on the point of view) came to my mind. Nowadays it rather reminds me of an accessory to a Darth Vader suit.

However, what would be more interesting is how these lenses perform. Obviously, they are so rare that noone could lay a hand on it recently.

11. WOW! That is a lens!

If I read that correctly it weighs 15 lbs. I guess the big thing sticking out the side is the handle to hold onto this thing or actually is says focusing handle.

Pretty cool though. I want ONE! 8)