What needs fixing? (10mm wide cityscape)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JohnC, Jun 28, 2008.

1. I need to go back and reshoot this one since I was in a rush and made mistakes like not having the camera level and I don't like the tone of the sky.

But if there are any other mistakes or flaws you all see, please tell me so I can correct them before I reshoot.

Don't be afraid to give harsh honest CC. :smile:

[​IMG]

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hey John,
    If you're going back for a redo, why not throw in some exposure bracketing. That will give you more latitude in working with the dynamic range of this scene.

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    well if you are going to do a redo...how about not cutting off the top of that building and if you pick a cloudy day, clouds would add more to the empty sky

4. Nothings wrong -- I like it the way it is.

5. I've never tried that. Is it in the D80 manual or is there a site that explains this?

Yeah, that was another thing I didn't like.

Hopefully I can take a step back to get the cut-off part without getting the bridge railing being in the picture. It will be cool if I can pull it off too because I could get the neon "Eat at Joe's" sign on the side of the building. :biggrin:

6. Supple1

Supple1

May 31, 2008
    SoCal
    It would be cool if you could time it to catch a few cars driving down the road as well. The streaks from their taillights would really make this picture pop IMO.

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Re:exposure bracketing
    Check your manual. Parts of this scene are overexposed (parts of the sky) and some of the deeply shadowed buildings are underexposed. With exposure bracketing, you take 2, or more, consecutive shots at different exposure levels (see manual for setting up). Then, the images can be blended in post processing. [Some folks like using Photomatix, but the blending can be accomplished with any decent editor.] [Your scene contains both static elements and moving objects -- you might try for just 2 shots, one for the sky and the other for eveything else. Be sure to lock in your tripod position to avoid moving the camera during the process.]

8. Oh yeah! Like an HDR! :D I will return Monday afternoon to reshoot and give this a try. :smile:

FWIW, I think the in-camera software can layer those bracket shots together (I'll read up and see)? :confused:

9. Hi John,
    Just the tip of the bldg (cut)...the rest is PERFECT! Great shot, compo, and framing:wink:
    sal