What Next? (rant)

While reading CNN I came across this article regarding the new trend of airlines charging fees for not only check in bags but carry on bags as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/14/opinion/greene-carry-on-luggage/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

What next? Will they start charging you by height and personal weight? :mad: Does this mean that in the future we will have to either downsize to point and shoot cameras when we travel or pay extra just to take our normal gear with us?

The author of the article mentions a very true statement; "businesses exist to make a profit". Yes, I believe that is 100% true. Same applies to our business of photography. I have read other similar articles and followed the responses from people making comments about these articles. It seems that there are many who subscribe to the philosophy that these companies offer a product to make them money and if you don't like it then go somewhere else.

My biggest problem with that philosophy is that if there are so many other ways to make money, why did that corporation choose that particular industry to invest in knowing how things have operated there for years? In other words, why did these new airlines (Spirit Airlines for example) choose to get into the air transportation industry knowing that it is a service oriented business? For decades travelers have traveled with either checked bags or carry on bags. These add weight to the plane which has to be factored into the fuel consumption. Fuel goes up, then air ticked should go up. I understand charges for extra fees like on board food or movies, but charging extra for a carry on bag? Charging extra for a less-cramped seat when it was the airline itself who over-packed planes with more seats to begin with? These airline companies knew the facts of the flight industry before they invested, but now they are crying foul and want to nickel and dime every one of its clients.

I'm a firm believer that there are infinite ways of earning a profit; if you choose to enter into a particular industry (food service, photography, banking, airlines, etc.), do so because you enjoy providing that particular type of service. I can make money selling hotdogs on a corner, but if I chose photography as my source of income, then I feel I shouldn't penalize clients by nickel and diming them for everything just because the cost of doing business has increased. I would rather raise my prices and continue to offer the quality service my clients deserve. I wish airlines would do the same.

They will continue to nickel and dime travelers and get away with it. There aren't any decent alternatives for getting around, the airlines have a captive market.

My biggest problem with that philosophy is that if there are so many other ways to make money, why did that corporation choose that particular industry to invest in knowing how things have operated there for years? In other words, why did these new airlines (Spirit Airlines for example) choose to get into the air transportation industry knowing that it is a service oriented business?

Because it used to be a business where they could charge an arm and a leg for flying with them. Everyone who says the want to go back to the sixties when flying by jet was cool and awesome and luxorious and had good service.

What they forget is that tickets back then cost 4× to 5× of what they cost now. You want to fly to Europe having that great service and everything? Pay $2500 to fly business class and you're getting it. The 1960's experience. For the 1960's price.

These airline companies knew the facts of the flight industry before they invested, but now they are crying foul and want to nickel and dime every one of its clients.

Actually they did not know "for a fact" that oil prices would skyrocket, that the industry would be deregulated and that the prices their customers were willing to pay would plummet.

So what were they supposed to do in the late 80s? Simply say "geez, this is not the business we signed up for. Despite having invested billions and billions in it since our inception before ww2, we'll just stop doing business right now" and sell their fleet to the scrap yard?

I wish airlines would do the same.

It's called raising the prices 400%

You might wish the airlines did just that. The market doesn't.

Because it used to be a business where they could charge an arm and a leg for flying with them. Everyone who says the want to go back to the sixties when flying by jet was cool and awesome and luxorious and had good service.

What they forget is that tickets back then cost 4× to 5× of what they cost now. You want to fly to Europe having that great service and everything? Pay $2500 to fly business class and you're getting it. The 1960's experience. For the 1960's price.

Actually they did not know "for a fact" that oil prices would skyrocket, that the industry would be deregulated and that the prices their customers were willing to pay would plummet.

So what were they supposed to do in the late 80s? Simply say "geez, this is not the business we signed up for. Despite having invested billions and billions in it since our inception before ww2, we'll just stop doing business right now" and sell their fleet to the scrap yard?

It's called raising the prices 400%

You might wish the airlines did just that. The market doesn't.

Two words: Eastern Airlines

And another bonus word: TWA

Yes, they knew what they were getting into.

I'll tell ya what's next...

The banks are planning to start charging people who use their smartphone to make bank transactions. they are gonna charge for transferring money, paying bills, depositing a check, etc...

Now that people have been using and like it, the banks are going to turn it into a multi million dollar money maker for themselves!!!

A friend of mine is a pilot for a german airline - if he wants something to drink while being in the cockpit, he is charged by the stewardess for that drink ...

:eek: I wonder what would happen if no one purchased any snacks or beverages anymore? Would the airlines find some other way to milk us of a few coins? I'll bet that the next fee will be for the "privilege" of using a restroom while in flight.

Ryan Air come up with considerations likes this last year: 1€ for using the restroom ...

Absolutely amazing how these airline executives will stop at nothing in order to take advantage of a people just to make a few extra dollars! :mad:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The airlines DO have an alternative....they could just increase air fares!

Otherwise, I presume they can simply go out of business when their costs increase and they can no longer afford to pay the bills.

The banks are planning to start charging people who use their smartphone to make bank transactions. they are gonna charge for transferring money, paying bills, depositing a check, etc...

Now that people have been using and like it, the banks are going to turn it into a multi million dollar money maker for themselves!!!

Agreed. Wait for it.

Oh, you can bet on that! You pay phone charges to use your phone, then the banks pile on their own charges for services that they're actually saving money on (compared to hiring more tellers/personnel).

ATM's were supposed to save the bank's on personnel costs too.

But, people want convenience. They're gonna have to pay up for it. It costs money - and jobs too.

In all fairness to the airlines, banks and governments, look at it from their point of view:
Everyone wants to own their house,
Everyone wants the best education for their kids and the best care for their elderly,
Everyone wants to have the latest car, phone, TV, tablet, gadget....
and everyone wants to go on holiday abroad too without working longer hours or paying more taxes or higher fares?

Really?

Absolutely amazing how these airline executives will stop at nothing in order to take advantage of a people just to make a few extra dollars! :mad:

Show me the billion dollar profits the airlines are apparently making.

You should take a look at health insurance. Or any insurance. Car dealerships. Banks. Cable companies.

It's amazing how many industries will stop at nothing to make a few extra bucks. It's a conspiracy! I think the Illuminati are involved!

Gotta go now. I think I hear the black helicopters..

Seriously though, I might have come over a bit harsh, but it's really just the market at work. Airlines are facing increasing cost and diminishing returns and need to counter that. As long as there are too many seats on the market prices will be under pressure. Indeed, somewhere along the line companies will go out of business... or consolidate which is what's happening right now. Less companies, bigger companies. They have more power to push through these fees and "hidden" price increases.

At one point, consumers will have enough and will find alternatives. Take more road trips, go by train. When the airlines have squeezed out their customers to the bone and revenues are falling due to people avoiding airlines, we'll see the reverse happening, in order to get business back. It's the regular cycle of supply vs demand.

It is real simple if a person does not like the service, then they don't have to fly on that airline. There are airlines that will give you great service if you are willing to pay for it. These other airlines are just making the different services a la cart. You only pay for what you want.

Bob W

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom