just couldn't deal with the AF, since I got it primarily for street work

so now what ?
I tried the OMD in BH today
and I must say the AF is much quicker, in very limited testing

I do NOT want to start a lens collection
I already have a Nikon one

I am thinking body and the 20/1.7 for a small street set up

Id love to get the Leica 25/1.4, but its a little too much $$

any other lens you feel is worthy of a one lens set up?

( I am not a wide angle guy..)

Last edited by a moderator:
The street shooters here ( I'm not one) seem to favor the Oly 17/1.8 - the 20 is a marvelous lens, wicked sharp wide open but isn't as fast or sure focusing. The 25/1.4 is pretty special and if you like low light shooting and the more normal focus length its the one to get. If you like a slightly longer focal length the Oly 45/1.8 is about them and more affordable than the 25 but that maybe to long for street according to some.

You could save some money on the body and go with the E-PL5, same imagining capabilities as the EM5, not as many controls and no EVF. It does have a tilting LCD which works well for less obvious shooting. The dough saved could finance the 25.

If you had AF speed issues with the 100s, don't even think about the 20/1.7. The 17/1.8, 25/1.4 & 45/1.8 are all fast enough; it just depends what working distance you feel comfortable with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks Mike

I think I tried all the bodies in your signature today

lol

not buying a Fuji again,until they figure out the AF

somehow I need a VF
kept putting the things up to my eye..

thanks Bruce, good info

Ill check the 17
35mm is my preferred focal length for the streets
( one reason I tried the 100s)

For daytime street, I'd also consider the 14mm 2.5 ($163 new on Ebay) and the Sigma 19mm 2.8 DN Art (A demo copy for $169 is at Adorama)...though it has a clanky, floating glass element when not turned on. The 17mm 1.8 is my pick for street shooting and I'd put that lens on any M43 body and feel confident I could get good shots. The 20mm is sharp no doubt, but the AF isn't great on the OM-D, better on Panasonic bodies though.

I've come to the conclusion that none of the mirrorless cameras are any good at continuous focus. The V1/V2 are the closest, but the small sensor really limits its low light potential. I think Nikon should just start making smaller DSLRs like old school FM sized bodies!

my first camera was the original OM
so maybe this has brought me full circle in a way

the 17 does look/ sound good
the 25mm is not THAT much more, but kinda goes against the size factor Im looking for...

I agree J2
a FE-FM size digital retro style

cmon Nikon

I don't really need the continuous focus, just something a little closer to my D700
the Fuji was anemic

my first camera was the original OM
so maybe this has brought me full circle in a way

the 17 does look/ sound good
the 25mm is not THAT much more, but kinda goes against the size factor Im looking for...

I agree J2
a FE-FM size digital retro style

cmon Nikon

I don't really need the continuous focus, just something a little closer to my D700
the Fuji was anemic
The 25mm is too bulky for street in my opinion. The 17mm is not much bigger than the 20mm, but with better focusing. The 20mm has better wide open performance, but it's barely noticeable. The 17mm isn't a technical lens, but a lens with good character.

At wider angles, I don't think AF-C is that important, it's only noticeable when trying to focus track with fast aperture telephoto glass.

thanks Mike

I think I tried all the bodies in your signature today

lol

not buying a Fuji again,until they figure out the AF

somehow I need a VF
kept putting the things up to my eye..

thanks Bruce, good info

Ill check the 17
35mm is my preferred focal length for the streets
( one reason I tried the 100s)
i found the 14 to be a nicer focal length for street as opposed to the 20, but the 17 is ideal and superfast. if i were you id wait until the ep5 prices drops and pick up the deal with the evf and 17mm. ive slowly weened myself off VF shooting on the street, i use the lcd more than i ever thought i would.

It's hard to imagine why the X100s has focusing issues - the X20 is a dream to use and it's focus speed is pretty snappy, it''s to bad its a a small sensor camera, makes a great point-n-shoot carry around camera - I wish they would blend the X20 and the Sony RX100 together, don't care if it won't fit my pocket. For travel and just carry around times a fixed lens camera suits me just fine.

not sure Mike
but all the positives about the 100s could not outweigh the AF for me

if every shot you take is still, posed, static, I guess one would never know

the X20 didn't entice me at all, my phone sensor is bigger..

anyway, i might just hump the D700- 35/2 around a bit more and see what happens

while I was at BH, they actually changed to OMD price to 899, right infront of me

must be some kind of sign..

:cool:

thanks Rooz
I think our styles are close , so i appreciate the opinion
I thnk the 17 would be perfect for what Im looking for

pretty sure your phone sensor isn't bigger - I think the X20 is 2/3" which is bigger than most small cameras - not suggesting it as an alternative, just being argumentative :smile:

If you can live without an EVF (there is an optical add on one available) take a good look at the new Ricoh GR, it is a great street shooter with very fast AF and a pretty cool snap focus setup. It is 28mm but the big Sensor allows or easy cropping plus it has a built in 35mm crop mode. The shutter is silent too...and you don't have to buy any lenses!

just having fun Mike
it is 2/3
I took it as such - I used to use the 35/2 with a D700, thought it was a great combo, not as fast at focusing as the later 'G' lens and somewhat underrated. pretty small lens. Still a huge combo compared to the alternatives that's been suggested here.

anyway, i might just hump the D700- 35/2 around a bit more and see what happens
Hard to beat that combo. If you go mirrorless, you'll spend a grand or two, and still come up short in terms of ergonomics, performance, and image quality.

so true Frank
thats why Im holding steady for now...

see see what deals might come about around the holidayz

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom