1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What of the Tokina 300mm F2.8 AF?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've seen this piece of glass pop up from time to time. Seems to have been around for quite some time, but I haven't seen much mention and/or use of it.

Any owners wanna chime in with their experiences? :smile:

2. I had one for many years before obtaining the Nikon 300/2.8 and the Tokina was a terrific lens. The focus was not as quick as the Nikon's, but in terms of color, contrast and sharpness, the Tokina was excellent.

If I recall, there are several versions of the Tokina, so be sure to get the most recent one.

By the way - the Tokina is built like a tank. when I was sampling the Tokina, the Tamron and the Sigma, there was no comparison; the Tokina is built way better and the image quality was the best of the 3.

No - the Tokina is not as sharp as the Nikon; NOTHING is as sharp as the Nikon 300/2.8, but it costs about 50% less than Nikon.

I had many many keepers shooting sideline sports with the Tokina.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.