What PC specs are you running ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I put together my own computers. I just hate paying ridiculous prices in BestBuy for bundles which are hooked up with most up to date CPUs but at the same time running on cheapest RAM, cheapest HeatSink and lousy MoBo.

For those who are using D2X, and are satisfy with performance, what are your computer specs at the moment ?

I'm an AMD guy so I stick to AMD brand. I haven't updated my machine in few years and I notice more and more that old guy is having some problems when PSCS2 / NC and other are running at the same time.

I'm looking into

- MSI / Gigabyte / DFI Socket 939 MoBo
    - AMD Athlon 64 3500 2.2GHz (OverClocking will be performed)
    - 1GB DDR RAM stick (have 768 at the moment)
    - 450Watt PSU

2. genec57

genec57 Guest

My home built machine is about two years old now but still kicks. Dual Athlon 2600+MP. gigabyte mobo, 2 gigs RAM, and two maxtor 60gig drives in RAID 0 configuration.
    I hear the CS2 will address up to 3.5 gigs of RAM so I would go that direction with a new box and dual Athlon 64s would really scream.
    Have fun :) or wait a while longer and go with the soon to be released dual core chips from AMD.
    Gene

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I have been building computers as a business for several years now. Our main customers are government contractors, photographers, CAD/CAM, and machinists.

It has come time for me to get a new PC for home and I'm seriously looking at AMD Opterons. I have been a hardcore Intel fan forever. I love Xeons and P4 extreme processors.

I recently built a computer for Greg Giesing a fellow member, whose business is photogammetry. It was a dual Xeon 3.4 Ghz 2 gb DDR Supermicro X6dal-TG motherboard, 3 300gb Maxtor hdd's (16mb cache in a stripe set for performance).

While it was burning in I loaded Capture 4.2. Shouldn't have done that!!!! Lets just say it was zippy and I don't want to use anything but a dual system anymore.

The 1mb cache processors at 3.4 Ghz combined with a great motherboard and crucial memory really shined with NikonCapture.

Like I said, I've been reviewing Opteron's and may come up with a system for Leigh and I at home.

Oh, the video card that I put in that whopper was a new 3dLabs Realizm 800 with 640mb of video ram in pci express. Don't think I"ll need anything that fancy. :)

4. Every time I get one of those Dell flyer's in the mail, I have to laugh. The advertised models are so under-built for applications today. You'd think Mike Dell would wake up and take notice that people want something more, especially for applications like digital photography.

I'm taking a new look not just a processing power, but redundancy, back up and usability. I upgraded my computer system (Refurbished Sony 2.8 MHz Pentium 4) at the end of last year. What I have now is not fancy, but I hope it will get me through the year. I added memory, hard drives (internal & USB external), a new video card to support two monitor, Wacom tablet and a NEC CRT and Samsung Digital LCD. Just love the two monitor system and wondered how I ever managed before with just one.

I don't know what I'll do when I need to move on. I felt rather empowered when I replaced a failed hard drive by myself a month or so ago, but I'm not sure I really want to build my own computer. It will be interesting to learn how the rest of you fill you processing power needs. Patrick, I'll also be looking to you to see what you decide to do for yourself and I hope you'll share that with us.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Virginia,

Building computer is Very Easy, IMHO.

All you need is MotherBoard (MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS) or other brand depending if you want to overclock it or not. Decent processor (checking which Socket first), memory, heatsink and fan. Putting together processor with heatsink could be tricky but with few tries, you shouldn't have any problems. The rest is your normal stuff: cables, video-card, power-supply, sounds card, HDs etc etc. If you want to play around with RAID, water cooling and overclocking then we are talking different ball-game. Average computer shouldn't be hard.

I will keep you posted on my process.

6. After being a strictly AMD guy for the last 4-5 years I returned to Intel. Here's my setup which I find works very well for me regarding the D2X...

MoBo: ABIT IC7-G, Socket 478, Intel 875P ATX
    CPU: Intel P4 3.2E Prescott 800MHz FSB (with Zalman cooling fan)
    Mem: 4 512MB Corsair SDRAM DDR 400 (2GB Total)
    HD: 2 Maxtor 300GB SATA 150 drives
    1392: Adaptec 3-port firewire PCI card (2 standard and 1 Firewire800 port)
    Case: Antec Sonata silent case with 380W power supply
    Graphics: Matrox P750
    Monitors: Two 21" LCDs
    CF Card reader: Lexar RW019 firewire reader (blazing fast)
    Backup: DVD burner and LaCie Big Disk

This was my first full system upgrade in over 2 years.

I have no complaints.

Hope this helps...

_/oe

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Now I know why it took an extra week to get that new one in the shop from Patrick! Burning in Huh.

On something a bit more down to earth for the house he built me a single processor pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz and 1 gig of ram. Sata drive at 10k rpm. put dual monitors on it and I haven't had to wait on anything yet.

8. those flyers are a joke but Dell computers arent. I have had three of them and have had zero issues. I currently have:

P4 3.2ghz
    1.5 GB RAM
    2 - 250 GB SATA 7200 HD
    128MG GeForce FX5200 Video
    8XDVD +RW
    52X CD-R/RW
    19" Dell UltraSharp FP
    Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS
    Klipsch Dolby 5.1

Id like to know if if there is much more out there that will allow me to enjoy Post Processing more than i do now?!!!!

9. Hey, Jay, thanks for the vote of encouragement. It really shouldn't be that hard to build a system, I agree and shucks if I could get the jumpers right on that hard drive I ought to be able to do the whole thing!

One more question, guys, what's it cost to build these systems from scratch? I'd guess about $1500 sans monitors. Am I right or wrong?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Virginia,
    For little over $1000 you should have the highest quality computer with the "best" components available on the market (* monitor not included).

11. I used to build my own computer, but my last one was just bought from Dell (last August). 2.8Ghz P4 w/ HT, 800FSB, 1GB RAM, minimum HDD (to add my own big HDD for better price), minimum whatever else. Basically, I went this route in part because I needed the OS -- was still running Win98 on my previous ancient PC -- and in part because I had credit card rewards points I could use towards a Dell PC. Really, there's not that much savings to be had w/ building your own from scratch if you need to buy the OS (or any other software) -- just go w/ the bare minimum (other than CPU) on one of their better deals and upgrade stuff on your own. To me, if I build the PC myself, it'd be mostly because I want specific components that I can't get from a place like Dell -- and that would likely be true if you overclock. But in this last case, I didn't have much of that issue. Saving some time and effort was better than saving the tiny difference in cost. Still, I did have the credit card rewards points, :D and I did also plan for a 2nd HDD on one of those great rebate deals (and will need a 3rd soon enough) and my own choice of DVD burner (NEC ND3500), etc.

No handling of D2X files here though. I suppose if I were getting a D2X, I'd probably need another PC upgrade. And I doubt going from 2.8Ghz to 3.4Ghz would make that much a diff. Probably would want a dual processor system at that point w/ maybe 2GB RAM, if not more, as someone else suggested -- but I probably would not go w/ the fastest processors though since I doubt the gains are quite worth the $$$ diff as usual (unless you're using it for business).

_Man_

12. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I built my PC myself. I Asus P4C800E-Deluxe with 1 GIG Ram and a 3.06 P4 HT CPU, several hard drives, Firewire 800 a Iiyama CRT monitor. Er and other bits of techy stuff....

13. Digital Photo Station
    P4 3.2ghz
    2GB ECC RAM Kingston
    2 - 250 GB SATA 7200 HD
    1 - 1TB LaCie
    128MB ATI
    12XDVD +RW
    52X CD-R/RW
    21"

14. Panos, you dog! How do you like the Terabyte Lacie? What interface are you using?

15. Joe, currently it's on a Hi-Speed USB 2.0, that means 38MB/s with my setup, but I'm looking to upgrade to FireWire 800 that will give me close to 60 MB/s. 8)

It's a monster in concept... I now feel very relaxed about me going out for a walk and filling a 4GB CF (which means another 7GBs when I convert them to .tifs) :?

16. First System

Athlon 64 3000+
    Giga-byte Nforce 3 board
    768 Mb of Ram
    1-40Gb and 1-120Gb 7200RPM Drive
    ATI Radeon 9550
    Various appliances with it

Second System

Athlon 2600+
    1 Gb RAM
    4x40Gb 7200 RPM
    ATI 9000 All-in-wonder
    Sony DVD Burner etc

Laptop

Dell Latitude D610
    1 Gb RAM - 533 FSB
    80 GB HD
    14.1 UXGA (1400x1050)
    8xDVD+/-RW with DL

17. Mwilson50,
    This would be something similar to mine. Probably AMD64 3500 though. What ram are you using ? Did you OC'ed ? How is PSCS or NC performance, if you have them ?

18. Tyan Thunder mobo, two Opteron 246, 4GB of high-grade ECC Reg DDR (two matched pairs of 1GB sticks);

36GB System/Software/Workfiles/Storage drive and 146GB Workflow drive, both SCSI running off an Adaptec 39160; three 74GB Raptor SATA overflow drives, two 400GB external Firewire and one 250GB external Firewire drives for Archival, Portfolio, and Backup respectively;

Matrox Parhelia driving an Eizo CG21 primary monitor and an older Samsung 171p secondary monitor in Independent mode;

Internal Plextor SATA burner (used as backup to the externals, and as a primary software-load drive); two external Plextor Firewire burners (one used normally, one as a cover-your-butt backup in case anything happens to the primary when I'm on a deadline). I generally find myself burning two discs at once, so if someone spills coffee on an external drive I can fire up the second external and keep going. It's happened once, so I like to cover myself. I have the Firewire ports split between the motherboard, a dedicated Firewire card, and a combo card that gives me 4 extra USB2 ports as well.

This system is really pretty spectacular.

PS: I use a tablet (6x8) as well as a rodent. The new Laser Logitech is quite nice, if you're looking for an accurate mouse.

Ron

19. Hey Jay. I got it as part of a bundle but using Simpletech memory. Not overclocking as I just installed my secret weapon :) Windows XP 64bit :) I primarily use it to do video and use the 2600 + to do photos but I will be starting to use it with the 64 bit XP since I am curious about it. If any indication in video what took me about an hour to do on my 2600 takes me about 20-25 min on the 3000 :) I will be running tests soon on NC 4.1 and RAW files. Stay tuned.

Mike

20. Przemek

Przemek Guest

Jay,
    I'm an "AMD guy" myself. My desktop, that I built for myself back in 2001 is an Athlon 1200 Mhz with Asus A7M266 motherboard, and 512mb PC2100 memory. Although this machine is a bit aged for today's standards, it has been very very reliable. I can probably count with my fingers the number of times it crashed on it's own, without a specific reason or something incorrect that I did.

My laptop is a P4 3Ghz with 512mb of memory. It's a Toshiba. I was able to get a good deal on it at BestBuy actually. I had to send it off for repairs though because this model had serial defect and Toshiba was quietly fixing under warranty. The defect definitely affected me and I had to reboot 5 to 10 times a day - really unable to do anything on it because of this. It was a hardware problem with improper insulation on some of the wiring inside apparently. They fixed it.

For a new machine I would definitely look at Athlon64.

Best Regards,
    Przemek