512 M RAM
NVDIA GefORCE Ti200
MAXTOR 160G
MAXTOR 40G
SONY DVD RW DRU-710A
ARTEC CD-RWZIP 100
EPSON 3170 PHOTO PERFECTION
EPSON 2200 PRINTER

UTILITIES= Speedupmypc / Spybot / Registry 1st Aid / McAfee / Ad-Aware / AntiSpyware / Windows DeFrag
Some of these utilities are redundant but some pick up what others leave behind. I do this as needed but at least once a week no matter what.

There is a lot to be said for running utilities and keeping your architecture clean. I pound this machine everyday and have yet to experience a crash requiring a reboot. I hope this is not considered off topic but my machine is under spec'ed compared to most on here and I bet I am moving as much technology through this thing as anyone else on here.

Anyway I was only making a point for some of you out there that may feel like they are running insufficent hardware and software. A lot of it has to do with "HOW" you work and not WHAT" you work with. The same goes for the camera in your hand.

Happy Day,

Cappy

Ron, would you happen to know how those Matrox cards perform for DVD playback? I can live without 3D performance, but I do like to be able to play DVDs on my main PC.

I was thinking about the new P650 for PCIe.

M

Mike Field

I also built my computer.

AMD 64 3200+
2 gig ram
430W power supply
Sony 16x DVD
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128
WD200G 7200 & WD120G 7200 drives
19" LaCie monitor

Patrick Bramlett said:
Lets just say it was zippy and I don't want to use anything but a dual system anymore.
Since Neptune - all my desktops are MP. Now main ones are SuperMicro mb's, 2 Xeons. I do not feel that NC is slow :) More important for me, PS is fast :)

A

Allart

Powermac G5 dual 2.0 Hhz processors
2.5 Gb RAM
2 x 250 Gb Serial ATA
1 x 500 GB Firewire 800
5 x 250 GB Firewire 400
LaCie Dual Layer DVD burner
23" Apple Cinema display
Wacom Intuos 3 9 x 12
Epson 2200
Olympus P-400
Soundsticks and i-Sub

While some don't consider this a PC, it definately is a computer, and it has a personality...

I used to build my own PCs for many years, the fastest dual motherboards and memory I could get, but a few years ago I "discovered" Apple. I bought an iMac because I got curious and I didn't much care for it in the beginning. That was until my PC broke down again, Something with the motherboard and the memory on a RAID controler, or who knows... I noticed that a top spec Windows workstation costs about what a new top-of-the line G5 Powermac would cost, so I bought one shortly after they were announced.
Now that I had put my heart and soul (and not to mention my money) into it, I was fully motivated o make it a success. Adobe exchanged all my software for free, and Microsoft sells Office for around $ 150 in the Apple stores.

The only thing I can say is that I never missed my Windows PCs again.

Not everybody is the same, so it might not work for you, but if you're thinking about a new computer, give Apple a look. You did choose Nikon after all...

I have most of my components picked but I'm debating between 1GB vs 2GB. Price difference is noticeable and I'm wondering about PSCS2 / NC performance with either RAM.

Opinions ?

N

nfoto

A plethora of 2- or 4-way PCs (mainly Xeon CPUs, 2-4GB RAM on each, running NT, Win2000, or Linux ), a file server cluster providing 3 TB of storage in RAID 5, WAPs, NAS modules, switches, gateways, fire walls, backup server, mail server, web server, Gigabit networks, laptops, etc. etc. In fact, even more computer hardware than I have cameras or lenses. Ever so often I find myself spending far more time with computers than with doing the real thing, i.e. being outside and taking pictures. Such is the present digital future.

I mostly use BibblePro for processing NEF files including those from D2X. Bibble works very fast converting NEFs although it browses slowly over the network, so I tend to process locally and then dump the finished files onto the central file repository. I also use Nikon Capture but since it by sillyness on Nikon's part is excluded from running on most of my hardware, I mainly use it on some laptops for remote camera control (by firewire, USB, or wireless transmitter).

K

Ken-L

My preference is Dell for both my Desktop and Laptop, but as a general rule the same things hold true today as many years ago:

Get the fastest CPU you can afford
Have as much RAM as you can afford
Get a bigger Hard Drive than you think you will need
Don't skimp on the Video Board and Memory

Easy? No.
The trick is figuring out the trade-offs with the $$.
Then don't forget that not all components are equal. Low end components don't add up to a faster, better system compared to high end components with a "lesser" stated capability.

Jay Luto said:
I have most of my components picked but I'm debating between 1GB vs 2GB. Price difference is noticeable and I'm wondering about PSCS2 / NC performance with either RAM.

Opinions ?
I would say a noticable difference between 1 and 2. I am moving up to 4 gig when I rebuild my PC sometime this year.

AFS

hp photosmart laptop ZX5280US, P4 3.2 GHz, 1 gig Ram, 80 gig hard drive plus another 80 gig external, firewire, 3 usb, SVideo and HDMI outputs, 802.11G wireless, and a Brightview widescreen LCD which is color-balanced with Monaco EZ Color

Dell 600m 2ghz Centrino, 1gig RAM, ATI Radeon 9000, SXGA, 60gig drive, 100gig external drive, Wifi, Bluetooth. Got it during Dell's 750 off 1500 deal. Worked out nicelly =)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom