What prime next?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TVayos, Jul 4, 2007.

1. TVayos

TVayos Guest

I started using a kit lens 18-70 nikkor, shifted recently to a 35mm f2, so far it has not left my camera D70s. I find my pictures have improved significantly. I am looking to add to my kit for something with more range, probably either 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8? Any opinions on which len? If you have both which gets more camera time?

I occasionaly shoot runway fashion shows for work around a dozen times a year, or booth pictures at trade shows around 24 shows a year (I have not had a chance to use my prime in this situation yet) and the rest of the time use it to take pictures of my kid. I want similiar or better glass to my 35mm f2. I do not want to lug around any huge or heavy lens, not my idea of fun. Basically looking for a two lens kit right now, light weight, compact that will let me have more range. I am just not sure how much more. What do you find gets more time on your camera? How are these lens at locking on to moving targets (models walking) in low light?

2. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I really like the 50/1.4 but I'm thinkin' you ought to give the ol' 85/1.8 a whirl. Its so very versatile and image quality is surely way beyond its cost.

I believe it would compliment your 35/2 just dandy.

Another consideration would be the venerable 35-70/2.8 if you can stray from the prime scenario. I just adore the 70mm focal length on a DX sensor. And this lens gives you pro quality without a bunch of bulk or expense. Just a thought.

3. slabwax

slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    I just ordered my first prime ( 50 f1.4).

I think the next lens is going to be the 35 f2. Followed by a 85 1.8.

Dean

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I don't think you can go wrong with of the opinions here
    you will end up getting them all anyway
    just depends which one first

isn't that how it goes..??

5. I would agree with Edward- the 85f1.8 (which I have also recently purchased) will be a great companion to your 35f2 and will provide good reach and great IQ in a compact package. I would suggest that for your trade shows, perhaps a 20 would give you the opportunity to take in the "big picture". Good luck.

6. If you are handy with manual-focus, try the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens :smile: I love mine!

7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Your 35mm plus the 85mm f/1.8 would make a very decent kit, the 85 is especially good for portraits.

If you want wider for the trade shows then get the 12-24 zoom as its betters a lot of the wide angle primes simply because it was designed for a DX sensor. It's not that small though!

8. "I occasionaly shoot runway fashion shows for work around a dozen times a year,..."

Easy, based on this your next prime should be the 85/1.8 :smile:

9. TVayos

TVayos Guest

Thanks for the advice.

On another note, I am glad to find out your new haunt edwardneal. You and Uncle Frank are the reason I own a 35mm f2.

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I agree with him. Ge the 85. 35->50 difference is so small... why bother? 35->85 is at least a bit more than halve the field of view -- now that is a difference.