What products are you having trouble finding, thanks to the pandemic?

JLH

Early on we had problems with many items, especially rice and associated rice mixes. That has passed and things seem mostly back to normal. But one item that is still very difficult, actually impossible to find here in town is Smirnoff Ice Triple Black! My stepson found some at Jungle Jim's up by Cincinnati (and if you are anywhere near there you know the place). For Christmas he gave me a case of the stuff!!! Good boy! I ration it to make it last..... 😉

In LA all Lysol shipments are gone within an hour or two once it hits the shelves. Luckily I was able toI stock up big time on Lysol several months back. Besides that, I haven't been able to find plant based Purclean Tide which I prefer when hand washing sensitive fabrics. Another hard to find item is Japanese mayonnaise. I had to line-up for 20-30 minutes at a specialty shop just for mayo! :ROFLMAO:

Real Name
Ken St John
Other than the initial run on TP and hand sanitizer, I haven't seen any real shortages of most necessary goods. A few items here or there will be missing for a while, but generally back in stock in a day or two.

In general, I don't drink much in the way of soda, but I do like a little A&W's Diet Root beer on occasion. I have noticed that it's missing from the Commissary for sometimes weeks at a time. Odd, to say the least ... the "full strength" A&W is always in stock!!

As much as I hate the increasingly monopolistic actions of Amazon, I must admit we have made a lot of purchases through them since this whole lockdown crud started. It saddens me to do so, but most of the time I just cannot find many goods easier, or quicker, or less expensive than this behemoth!!

Ken

I haven't noticed any particular shortages here in South Lakeland UK and I've been doing the weekly shop pretty much since the start of first lockdown last March. There were certainly shortages back then but people seem to have become more disciplined since.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Flour, all-purpose or strong, has been in low stock for quite some time. A few months back, it was almost nowhere to be found.
Last year there were severe shortages here of yeast for making bread. I had to order some directly from China. Each time it took a month to get here and I couldn't understand a single word on the labels. Incredibly cheap and it worked fine.

Lately, I noticed plain seltzer water in cans not available at Giant or Wegmans. There are a lot of Polar flavors available, club soda too. And there are plenty of 16 and 32oz bottles but those go flat. I like to have just a 12oz with lunch once in awhile.

Also, bike trainers are dear. Sure you heard about the run on bikes, but also indoor cycle trainers have been sold out. Found one on on CL from someone that upgraded to Peloton.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
I no longer own any firearms, but today I overheard two men talking about a shortage of bullets. Just sharing this as a point of interest - not to spark political debate.

In the conversation, one man loudly stated that a local gun safety class for budding shooters allows each participant, who must be a minor, to take home two boxes of the caliber of their choice. He told the other man that he brings his children to that class on a periodic basis to rebuild his ammunition stockpile.

I've found it very difficult to find Post Grape Nuts cereal...I ended up buying 32 pounds of the stuff [on Amazon.com because that was the smallest quantity I could find].
The big brown truck just now delivered all 32 pounds. :eek: Fortunately, it also delivered three bottles of high-end wine. 🍷

EDIT: I just now learned that my wife is eating a lot less of this cereal than I thought. This means the batch should last close to a year.

Last edited:
If there are any cyclists or wannabe cyclists on here, bikes and bike parts are seeing a major shortage worldwide. Taiwan I believe accounts for about 70% of worldwide bike manufacturing. They've been slammed just trying to keep up with demand as well as sourcing raw materials, slowing shipments to a trickle. Same goes for weightlifting equipment last I checked!

Won't it get stale?
I think not. Even if it does get stale, I really didn't have any practical choice. It was the smallest quantity I could find at a reasonable price. Even if I got half the quantity from other providers, the total cost would have been the same. Having the cereal on hand is important because I eat it for breakfast every day including when I go on vacation.

Last edited:
Real Name
Phil
If there are any cyclists or wannabe cyclists on here, bikes and bike parts are seeing a major shortage worldwide. Taiwan I believe accounts for about 70% of worldwide bike manufacturing. They've been slammed just trying to keep up with demand as well as sourcing raw materials, slowing shipments to a trickle. Same goes for weightlifting equipment last I checked!
I am trying to get a Brompton and it is nowhere to be found.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom