What replacement collar for the 80-400 VR? Need help

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by andreasb, Feb 9, 2005.

1. As we all know as nice as a lens the 80-400 VR is minus the slow AF of course is the terrible shaking Tripodcollar. I'm fed up with this now and would like to buy one that can make this lens worthwhile on a tripod. So I have three options as I see it:

1. Buy the Kirk replacement collar
    2. Buy the Really Right Stuff replacement collar
    3. Ask for help in Europe to get the fabled Burzinsky (correct spelling?)replacement collar. Bjorn Rorslett likes them (www.naturfotograf.com)

The are not far from each other really in price so it is a feature for feature comparison thats important to me

My criterias
    1. No more vibrations on a trpiod with the D2H (and coming D2X)
    2. Easy to take off and on
    3. Would like the lens to be usable handheld while the tripod collar is on. the origional one can swing away so one can focus pretty much normally, and not have the hand trapped by the collar fot.

Any advice?

thanks

andreas

2. I have purchased several of the RRS products and while a little pricey they do produce very nice stuff. I don't think you would go wrong with anything from them.

3. Can't go wrong with this one ...

http://www.kirkphoto.com/lenscollars.html