What Scanner Would You Suggest?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by camerapapi, Jul 25, 2008.

1. It is very possible that this question has been asked here before. I continue to shoot film and I get my film scanned and placed in a CD but having a good scanner at home would be of great help.
    I like Minolta but I have not looked into them lately and I know that now Minolta belongs to Sony. Never used a Nikon scan so I cannot say much about them and the same goes with others. Heard a lot about Epson flatbeds but never used one.
    I am shooting mostly color negative mainly 35mm but planning on beginning to shoot medium format soon but could use a service bureau to scan those negatives.
    So, what do you guys suggest?
    Thank you.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Thank you Gordon. Excellent review.
    William.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    So Gordon, have you gotten yours yet?

5. The seller is traveling...and will be returning to the US the end of this week. So I am a couple of weeks (including shipping time) of receiving a lightly used Nikon 5000. Looking forward to another challenge...another fork in the road. Thanks for asking....Gordon

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Coolscan 5000 is real nice! I usually run film through it, and BAM! I'm done! It's then ready to print or reduce in size and post. The only processing I usually do (unless I am after a special effect) is spotting. The Nikon software does a great job of setting the curve, etc. just how I want it.

You will enjoy yours immensely Gordon. Of course it limits the film to 35mm. The 9000 also does medium format, and reportedly has a similar quality to the 5000.

7. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
    can anyone tell me of any places where I can still get film processed with out using an online service that i'll have to mail to? I know I can use some of the printers but the stuff I have is still in the original "cartridge". I don't know too much about film photography. found a couple of stuff that i never got developed from almost 11yrs ago and i'm curious to see if there's anything salvageable.

8. Eleven years look like a long time for images that have been recorded in negatives but indeed you have nothing to loose.
    I would try Costco or Walmart. Both have done reasonably good work for me. I love Costco for enlargements.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

9. charlesh

charlesh Guest

Looks like you are in NYC. Adorama & B&H, I believe, processes film. I'd try them before going to a place like Walmart.

10. I have an Epson flatbed and it does a credible job. However, the Epsons have absolutely lousy film holders. Right now I'm thinking about upgrading to a Microtek i900 which will do formats up to 8X10! And its cheaper than an Epson V700 or V750!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.