1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What should I bring to NYC?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pianisimo, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

I'm leaving for a few days to NYC tomorrow. Here's what I have:

D50
    2 batteries
    50 1.8
    10-20
    SB-600

Nikon F
    35 2.8 nonAI
    105 2.5 nonAI

Ideally, I'd take a D80 and a 20mm f/2.8 or the sigma 30mm f/1.4. I might even be able to pick one up there at B&H. But...based on what I have, what should I bring? I can fit all of it, but I'm not sure it's all useful. The nonAI's actually fit on the D50 and I don't mind manual metering or focusing. Is it even worth bringing the flash? I definitely want to shoot film, too.

2. I used my 10-20 a lot in the Times Square area. You just have to careful not to tilt it upward to much to try to avoid converging lines on the tall buildings.

The 50/1.8 and 105 might be too long. The SB-600 can be useful for fill light as you are bound to get shadows from all of the tall buildings in NYC. Your 35 might be useful for street scenes also.

Here are a few links to pictures with the 10-20 in Times Square and Central Park to give some idea of the focal length:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2231290001_b5e4abb6b7_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/2224039846_08cd7ec40a_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/2224039202_5bcac7facb_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2232083834_e20d818d72_o.jpg

3. KEN S.

KEN S.

May 5, 2005
    Covington,LA.
    money, and a map for directions to B AND H :biggrin:

4. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I'm there now on business, staring out my hotel window wishing I had my tripod (it wouldn't fit in my bag) :(  I also wish I had something a bit wider than a 35 focal length.

5. RichNY

RichNY Guest

You are going to shoot almost everything wide. Fast glass will really be more of a help if you are shooting indoors at museums or St. Patrick's Cathedral. Your kit is small enough that you might as well take it all as it will fit in a medium shoulder bag. My ideal recommendation would have been a 10-20, 70-300, and a Sigma 30 f/1.4.

6. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Perfect. Thanks for all the help guys! : ) And yes, maybeee I'll be able to pick up something at B&H. I only have $100 with me but I can probably convince my parents. LOL!

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Hehe, you beat me to it! Go there first, and you won't need to take a camera - that's where you'll spend ALL day!!

8. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC

Yep, when you walkin, go straight then make a left to the ramp to the 2nd floor where the nice glass is waiting for you...yeah, don't go there:biggrin:

9. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Yeah...........bring extra cash.........go to B&H and have a ball. I'll sure you'll spend more than you thought! I was there a couple of days ago..........had lens lust, but the long lines stopped me.

Otherwise, I would recommend a wide angle lens for shooting as suggested by the others here. I was passing through Time Square last night on my way back home to catch the subway..........lots of folks were out and about, I'm not sure if one could even setup a tripod, it was that packed.

Enjoy..........and lets see those images when you get back.

10. Y'know, if you go for the Sigma 28 f/1.8 instead of the 30 f/1.4, you'll save a bit of pocket money to spend on the hookers and booze. They're conveniently located a mere block further west from B&H.

I'm just sayin' . . .

And, yes, take the flash. Even if you don't use it, but in all likelihood you'll want it for fill. I use a Lumiquest Pocket Bounce with mine all the time. They're cheap (about $20-25).

The 10-20 will spend most of it's time on the camera. What are you planning to do? that may influence your decision, but as was mentioned, your entire kit is small enough you can take it all rather painlessly.

If it were me, I'd probably leave the 35 behind, especially if there were plans to purchase something in a similar range.

11. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    The only problem with buying at B&H while in NYC is remember that you will have to pay sales tax. I used to live in NYC, now I live in the state of WA and still order from them all the time as the shipping is less than the tax :)  They can overnight stuff to you if you really want it fast.

Carole

12. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Check out their used dept. They have a lot of good stuff there!

Carole

13. I've spent countless hours in their lighting department. Dangerous place if you have cash or available credit.. LOLOLOL

14. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Definitely, true, Robert!

How are things in Huntington? I was born in Huntington Hospital and grew up in Halesite. Moved to Hauppauge in 9th grade, into Queens as an adult, and 5 years ago split NYC for the state of Washington :) 

Carole

15. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I'll argue against shooting everything wide. NYC is a big city and people always try to take it all in at once. That can provide you with a lot of frustration sometimes. Now, there are definitely some great places there to shoot wide.

However, there are probably more subjects where you can isolate your subject and you may need some length. Some of the building architecture comes to mind, particularly with a lot of the ornate work on older buildings. Even if you do a tourist thing, like the Statue of Liberty, do you only want wide shots where the thing looks like a toy? Do you want to do any street photography?

This is one of the reasons I took my 18-200 for travel. You don't have to lug a load of glass and you have plenty of range with (in my case) decent quality images.

16. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I agree. I don't have an 18-200, so when I go back to NYC in October, I'm just taking my 18-55 and 55-200. That should enable me to shoot whatever I want to shoot ;) 

Carole

17. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I agree Bill
    I was in Manhattan all day today with my 18-70

on a sunny day like today, it is the perfect walk around for the city

if I'm going inside my 35/2 or something similar comes along

18. Hi Carole,

Things are great here in Huntington. You might not recognize things with all the construction and development but it's still here. :smile:

I gre up in Commack, lived in Huntington for a year, then lived in Manhattan for about 15 years, now I'm back out here again and like it very much.

19. Hey Frank,

Are we going to get to see some of what you shot today? :smile:

20. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    of course Robert
    soon as I convert a few

never enough time it seems....:wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.