What should this 20x30 sell for?

Well, a few more days and the exhibit will take place. I've been asked what I'd sell my photo for if it comes up - DUNNO!
To print it out on satin canvas, stretched, framed, and sprayed was $108. Now, with that in mind what would be a reasonable price? Whether it sells or not, I don't care - just happy I'm in the exhibit!

I'd say about 2-3 times what I paid. Do you have this picture your exhibiting on the web? I'm interested in seeing it. Congrats. Hope it sells..

Dianne,
Personally if it was mine I wouldn't sell it for less then $300...do you have to list a price? If not I would have a figure in mind and WHEN someone asks you I would throw it back to them and see what they are willing to pay...they might suprise you and offer something more then what you were expecting. If they don't give you a figure you like then you can counter or politely decline if it is really low.

I'm planning to ask $400 - that should give a bit of lee-way for bargaining. By rule of thumb, if it cost $100 to print then charge 3 or 4 times the amount. As nice as it would be to sell it, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Thanks y'all.

A

Austinite

That's a nice shot. I think $300 would be a fair price. Just me but $600 would scare me off. Something in that price range would have to have collectors potential.

I will be doing a few 20 x 30 canvas wraps for a gallery, the price I am thinking is $350 for mine.

Have you done this before? I paid $108 for my satin canvas - looked fantastic when I picked it up and took it to the gallery. Between the cafe and a few local friends, everyone is saying to go between $500 and $600. Dunno if I'll be doing anymore but one thing for sure, it's a fun feeling getting in a show, finally got to see the inside of the old cotton mill that everyone talks about so much, and has me wishing I had the $$ to go to some favorite places and really put in some shooting.

Yes, all I do is fine art photography in galleries. $500-600 if you are a fairly well known photographer to the general public in the area or you manage to get into a a respected expensive art gallery/establishment. The more expensive prices assume the gallery is taking 50% of the price.

This is an example of type of work I display and are 2 I just had done on 20 x 30 canvas.

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WOW, Doug those are gorgeous! This is just an exhibition show. I"m already where I want to be which is in the show to begin with. As for the print selling - I don't care - it will go in my den. I know I run the chance of selling it, someone wanting to see more, and more than ever, it's a wake-up call for me to work harder at improving my skills. I don't live in an area where I can find beautiful scenics - naturally. I'm hoping to go back home to LA (Louisiana) in April and do some shooting - our best known flowers will be blooming by then.

The show is this coming weekend. Until then, I'm on pins and needles! :):eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, Doug those are gorgeous! This is just an exhibition show. I"m already where I want to be which is in the show to begin with. As for the print selling - I don't care - it will go in my den. I know I run the chance of selling it, someone wanting to see more, and more than ever, it's a wake-up call for me to work harder at improving my skills. I don't live in an area where I can find beautiful scenics - naturally. I'm hoping to go back home to LA (Louisiana) in April and do some shooting - our best known flowers will be blooming by then.

Any updates? :)

Thanks,
Gary

$225.00 and here is why. #1. You are in the show because you like taking photos. As of today you have no (NAME) that would add to the selling price. So go, have fun and enjoy yourself and have a great time. At the end of the show would you rather have sold one or maby 5 of your print at $225.00 or go home with the one you came to the dance with with that really impressive $600.00 tag on it? There was this tiny little art seller a few years back that used the cheeper is better way of selling their prints. They were of very good quality but they sold them cheap. Ever hear of Curry & Ives ? If you do wind up having to take it home you might hang it and a few of its friends at a local eatery and sell it there. They get no part of the selling price or very little but they do get to enjoy your work untill it sells. I turn some of my prints into Xmass gifts for friends or thankyou gifts for the doctors that saved my life. Some of the vendors that help me with things for the farm tend to be on that list. Have FUN!

Latest threads

Top Bottom