What small camera are you shooting with?

I have my D300 and lenses that I love. I have also loved having the Canon s90 to keep in my purse. I've had the Canon for nearly two years. During that time I have not done much research or kept up much on all the smaller camera options that are out there. We are going on a vacation in a few weeks and I am wondering if I should replace my s90 with a newer camera. It would need to be something that would fit in my purse.

Any suggestions on what I should research?

I don't think there's much of anything better out there for a similar price.

I have an S95.

I bought my wife an LX3 a year ago. Now, the LX5 is out with a more functional lens.
Smaller than the Canon G12 but just as capable.

I brought my daughter a nice lil Ford Focus for her 18th birthday and she got me a Nikon S4100. A nice daily carrying camera but I miss my D300, da 50 (Nikon D50) or my F5 or F4.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I have a panasonic LX-5 for this purpose, it is a gret little camera and it is a photographers tool the way the controls are set in the camera and it has huge set of functionality, great color and good sharpness. And it has a Leica 2.0 lens! Avoid shooting over iso400.... for serious images.

Just picked up the Olympus xz-1.
Really nice little camera. Lost of feature and fully manual if you desire it.
The 1.8 aperture does nicely and the zoom range is great.

Good value for money on that one.

Other than the fuji there must not be too much new out there. The s90/95 and LX3/5 are pretty comparable. I did my research between those options two years ago and chose the canon because of its smaller size.

I'll have to look into the fuji although dpreview says that it has it's frustrations. I guess I'll just be happy with what I have.

Thanks all for the suggestions. It will be interesting to see if we get any more here.

M8 bodies are within the realm of somewhat affordable! Plus with the plethora of glass out there, it shouldn't be that hard to find setup that's reasonably priced.
Affordable for a Leica yes, but the combo certainly won't be under $1000. Just a first version M8 easily goes for $2000…

I take along in my purse the Olympus E-P1 wrapped in a soft felt bag. I love the fact that I don't have to make concessions with the quality of the photos it produces compared to a DSLR.

Now you can get the E-PL1 and 14-42mm for a very nice price. A compact small body and lens with a DSLR quality sensor

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom