What software to get

R

Raven1

I have been taking pictures for years, that is it TAKING PICTURES. I would like to get the soft ware to do things with the picture. I have looked at Adobe, photoshop and others, I'm confused and thought that some of you could tell me what would best for the beginner doing this. Am I'm not the youngest thing out there, so it have to be simple. At present I have a Nikon D60

You can also download Picasa for free. It is a very basic photo editor, but you'll be able to 'do things with the picture', as you've stated.

It's even more basic than Photoshop Elements mentioned above, but FREE may be a good place to start.

I have to second Keith's recommendation for Picasa. With it, you also get a free hosting on Google. You'll need a place like that so that you can link your images to show here at the cafe. :wink:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Agree with the others. I would start with Picasa (free is always good!), gain some experience and familiarity with using editing software, and then when you're comfortable and want more, graduate to Elements...

Picasa is nice, I actually used it for quite a while when i was still shooting jpeg. Once i moved into the RAW world I went for lightroom. I will never look back, even my older jpeg images are able to be edited and with great success. If you want somthing entry level to see what things can do go with Picasa, I do recommend that you watch how you store images and such carefully as picasa kinda took over my system on me and made it a little difficult to clean up after I removed the program. Not that I wouldnt use it again I would just watch how and what I did alot more carefully.

Picasa is not only nice, but it has been chosen over Photoshop Elements as PC Magazine's Editor's Choice for basic photo organizing and editing software.

If you use a Mac, however, I think Aperture should also be considered for about $70 from the Mac App Store. Using Aperture will also give you access to many of the plug-ins that make editing easier.

Well folks have cover the starting software, but since you have been shooing digital for 10 years, you must have a lot of images. Download a trial of photo mechanic, It is not cheap, but is a VERY powerful and fast editing and organizing system. It is the best money I ever spent. You do not say how long you have had the D60, but if you are already doing so, then consider shooing with RAW also. In the future, as you PP skillsand software improve, you will be able to go back to the RAW files, and work wonders with them.

I was lucky enough to receive that bit of advice in 2000, and I am still PP some 10 YO pics

I'd make a plug for FASTSTONE Image Viewer 4.5---also free. See the recent discussion at: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=302978.
Have to add me to this as well, Faststone does a really good job and is a great viewer as well...
But there are lot of free software out there to start with, Picasa, Faststone, Irfan, Raw Therapee and the list goes on.
Do a Google search and then a review of the software as to how good and complicated or simple it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
, I do recommend that you watch how you store images and such carefully as picasa kinda took over my system on me and made it a little difficult to clean up after I removed the program. Not that I wouldnt use it again I would just watch how and what I did alot more carefully.

Could you clarify a little bit? I think I want to try it. Do you mean setting up folders and organizing the images?

Well, I'll go against the 'free' theme and say.....Adobe Lightroom and The NIK Collection........those 2 should keep you happy for years to come:smile:

I personally have been blown away by Adobe Lightroom. It's not designed for massive amounts of post-processing like Photoshop is, but it lets you do all the important things trivially (cropping, rotating, adjusting levels, fixing redeye, removing spots, etc), and more importantly optimizes the whole workflow of taking a pile of images, whittling them down to the good ones, letting you tweak them, and then do something with them. Reviewing and touching up images went from being a huge chore for me to being actually enjoyable. I highly recommend Lightroom (and if you have a strong Apple slant I hear that their Aperture product is similar in philosophy).

Lightroom is mandatory for management, and mild-moderate tweaks. You can do quite a lot with Lightroom3.

I personally have been blown away by Adobe Lightroom. It's not designed for massive amounts of post-processing like Photoshop is, but it lets you do all the important things trivially (cropping, rotating, adjusting levels, fixing redeye, removing spots, etc), and more importantly optimizes the whole workflow of taking a pile of images, whittling them down to the good ones, letting you tweak them, and then do something with them. Reviewing and touching up images went from being a huge chore for me to being actually enjoyable. I highly recommend Lightroom (and if you have a strong Apple slant I hear that their Aperture product is similar in philosophy).

Lightroom is mandatory for management, and mild-moderate tweaks. You can do quite a lot with Lightroom3.

I agree with both here...I used Picassa when I got my first digital camera and it took over my machine.....I do not remember all the probs I had trying to get image to go online to be stored on my website...but it was hell so in less than a week I uninstalled Picassa....I am now with Lightroom3 (have owned every version because i really do not like photoshop and only use it for extreme cases of processing) and love it....to keep all my pix organized and I can even go back and open a jpg and reedit it with9ut degradation of the jpg file.....do not think any other processor will do that, but I could be wrong

And, the best of all, this is all non-destructive!! This means that your original image remains intact, and you can go in and re-do or un-do any of the adjustments you made at any time in the future.

^ this is key here. None of the changes are permanent, and they only store the instructions. Meaning you don't waste space storing variants of the same picture.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom