1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What tele to get?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Weston, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Sigma 50-500mm HSM f4-6.3

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Sigma 150-500mm HSM f5-6.3 OS

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Tamron 200-500mm f5-6.3

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Other

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Ok so I think the telephoto lens I want is between these lenses. I am planning on getting a good tripod to support it. I already have the 70-300 vr so any of these will get me out to 500mm at f6.3.

2. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Also I would like to know why you would chose what lens. I have never used any of these lenses. Thanks!

3. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    300mm f4 + tc1.4,1.7

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    300/2.8 AIS and a 1.4 or 1.7TC and good support. Manual focus and metering though. I'm not a particularly big fan of any of these super-duper zoom lenses, and especially f/6.3 ones. I'd rather go all manual focus and metering to afford better glass, even on a D90 body.

5. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Some people like it, but I prefer autofocus and metering. I guess it's personal preference. Maybe if it was a noct nikkor 1.2:wink:

6. Way to go, i agree with you, Speed is important!

7. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I did some side by side testing and based on that and a whole ton of online research, I chose to go with the Tamron 200-500mm. At the longer focal lengths, I only shoot from a tripod, or some other reliable support. So, that said, the HSM of the Sigma lenses just added complexity I wouldn't be using, but would be paying for. In the online comparison threads I read, the Tamron seemed to be favored over the Sigmas and the Nikon 80-400 (which I did some test shots with, along with the Tamron). Also, I can't deny that the sample variety that many people talk about with Sigma lenses isn't something I wanted to wrangle with. I don't have a local supplier, so it might mean the time and expense of mailing lenses a time or three to get a decent sample. I don't have that kind of time, nor interested in loosing money that way, to get a lens that should ship new in excellent working condition. I've tested and double checked the AF of the Tamron at 500mm and each time it checks out exactly as it should be. All three of my Nikon primes benefited from AF fine tune adjustment, as all three were just a bit off.

8. What's the intended or primary use?

9. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    I buy my equipment used, and the sigma is about the same price as the tamron. I haven't owned a tamron, but I've had a couple sigma lenses, and all of them have been good copies. I always make sure I get a good copy when I buy used. I was taking some shots with my 70-300 vr a few minutes ago, and there are times when you can't use a tripod (even though a tripod will get better results). So the OS would be an added benefit. But like you said before, VR can't replace a tripod.

10. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Wildlife-mainly small birds.

11. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    So would just about everybody I think. :wink: The point is that if you can forego that stuff you get absolutely top-notch optics at one-fifth or even one-tenth what the modern AF and VR versions go for, and they're actually affordable. Not a whole lot more if anything than any of these lenses. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Edit:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...&BC=NK&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=500

500mm f/4 P ED for $1599 BGN at KEH

[​IMG]

yeah baby! :biggrin: Put a 1.4tc on that and you're at 700mm and still f/5.6.

Would have to do some research. Not sure if it's AI or not, but if I'm not mistaken I thought the "P" on these things means metering coupling? So you'd have metering on your D90 if that's the case.

More on this lens here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/500mm.htm

Not surprisingly there's a photo of a small bird used as an example. Yes, the "P" means you'll get matrix metering coupling. :wink:

12. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    This looks nice! I good live without AF if I had metering and f4 at 500mm! I saw this before, but I didn't realize it could meter. It is actually out of my budget, but it might be worth it to wait.

13. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Sell your 70-300vr, 11-16 temporarily, combine it with any other money, and anything else you might have handy that's worth something (your soul, blood plasma :biggrin: ) and this can be yours. :tongue:

14. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    I'm selling my 11-16 temporarily, but I'm keeping my 70-300 vr-I can't part with it looking over some shots I took today.

15. Weston

Weston

Dec 29, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Could I get by with a sturdy monopod with this lens?

16. I voted "Other" - the Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S + TC is optically better than any of the zoom options.

Cheers

Mike

17. I will agree with Wileec 100%, as I did the same as he, research wise. Personally, I believe the Tamron is the better of the three, and I will put my 200-500mm up against either of the Sigmas (same photographer). There are other lenses that are better, but at far greater cost. If you have the money, go for it. I am quite happy with my Tamron and it has served me well. I like the idea of the zoom to vary the FL. One can always use the foot zoom, but that's worse than shooting without a tripod.

Also, I shoot exclusively with a tripod, and the only place I haven't used a tripod is in a boat - perhaps I could have tried, but opted to use a 70-300mm (non VR) handheld (and it hurt).

Best wishes on your choice.

18. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    That's the spirit! :biggrin: You won't have ANY trouble selling it because it's still a highly sought after item and back-ordered in a lot of places. You could also "downgrade" to a lower end body like a D40/D50. I sold my old D80 and shot with just a d40 for awhile to generate the funds I needed to buy a 70-200vr at the time - LOL.

I have no clue what sort of support you might need or could get by with on that beast. I'm guessing a GOOD monopod would do it, but ask in the birding forum. I bet there's somebody there that has shot with the thing before. :wink:

19. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Before selling focal lengths that I want to have (a poor short term and long term option), I would encourage you to do some real research. With all due respect, the NikonCafe is only one source and not as many people here as some other places. DPreview, Imaging-Resource, and FredMiranda are three of the sites that I found helpful. There were some others (Amazon, B&H, Adorama), and I didn't know about this forum at that time, but it's my opinion there aren't that many people here, so it's too small a pond of users to look to for these kinds of decisions. No offense to anyone here - it's the scientist in me that seeks enough of a sample of shooters to form an opinion.

A monopod can work, and a good one is certainly less than a good tripod, but it all depends on your technique. I've had a harder time trying to make use of a monopod for the longer shots, and sometimes I even use a cable release - I wouldn't have enough hands to handle lens/camera and monopod and remote release.

I would suggest you borrow one, first - you may be surprised at how little movement compromises an image. Unless you have money to burn, read carefully and be smart about your choices. Every lens has pros and caveats, so choose knowing what you want to capture - with a long term plan in mind.

20. Good post. I wouldn't sell any focal length just to buy a different one, either.

And a monopod gets old very fast when you're out shooting wildlife, and small birds! You will find yourself in a lot of situations where you need to wait for some action to happen. In that case, being able to let go of your rig and resting it on a sturdy tripod is important.

Cheers

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.