Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Sigma 150-500mm HSM f5-6.3 OS

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Tamron 200-500mm f5-6.3

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
I voted "Other" - the Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S + TC is optically better than any of the zoom options.

Cheers

Mike
+1

I bought this lens with the 1.7 TC used. I'm still improving my monopod technique, with a gripped D300 and TC. I bought a Gitzo 1410 and Kirk BH-1 to go with it. I read Thom's article on support, when you cross the 300mm threshold, having solid support is worth the effort to haul with you.

No experience with the zooms you mentioned. I'm just getting into birding but I've had good luck with 300 shooting wide open doing sports, good IQ.

Good luck with your decision. :smile:

Couple of things

To help you decide: HSM on the Sigma lenses is not the VR equivalent; HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) equals AF-S. Their VR equivalent is OS (Optical Stabilizer). The Nikkor P lenses are AIS with the capability that implies.

One thing I noticed after doing some research is that the Sigma 50-500 is an EX lens while the 150-500 is not.

Since the lens is likely to be used on a tripod most of the time, would not the EX optics and build quality be worth the trade for the lack of OS?

W

Wileec

+1

. . . when you cross the 300mm threshold, having solid support is worth the effort to haul with you.
Absolutely true. I was fortunate on this front. I cried once, up front, and got a good CF tripod and an excellent head and have been in support heaven since.

I read the same article you reference and acted on it. No regrets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To help you decide: HSM on the Sigma lenses is not the VR equivalent; HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) equals AF-S. Their VR equivalent is OS (Optical Stabilizer). The Nikkor P lenses are AIS with the capability that implies.
I know. The 500mm f4 would be manual focus. On a tripod, one usually turns off VR anyways.

One thing I noticed after doing some research is that the Sigma 50-500 is an EX lens while the 150-500 is not.

Since the lens is likely to be used on a tripod most of the time, would not the EX optics and build quality be worth the trade for the lack of OS?
Sigma changed EX to stand for lenses with fixed aperature. There shouldn't be much difference.

W

Wileec

I know. The 500mm f4 would be manual focus. On a tripod, one usually turns off VR anyways.
Focus and image stabilization are unrelated.

Manual focus isn't for everyone. The further the distance, the greater the challenge to establish sharp focus. The lower the contrast the glass produces, the greater the challenge, too. With long lenses, you have very little wiggle room, to have sharp focus, so relying on it for moving wildlife can be a real challenge. I've been working on refining what works best for me, and the gear I use, when it comes to long distance manual focus shots.

Sigma changed EX to stand for lenses with fixed aperature. There shouldn't be much difference.
I read that post as well however from the Sigma site it looks like a bit more than that.

" EX (EX Lens)
The exterior of this lens is EX-finished to denote the superior build and optical quality, and to enhance its appearance."

LOL, well that KEH BGN 500mm f/4P is now gone. Weston, did you get it?
I wish! I don't have that much to spend yet! My budget is actually under 1k so I would have to save more to get that. That was a really good deal though. I checked ebay, and they were all going for a $2400. Are there any other p lenses that might be AF but would have matrix metering?

aww bummer! I dunno what other "P" lenses there are, but that MIR.com website is a great resource. Tough to navigate, but lots of great info. You might want to consider selling your D90 and trading for either a D200 or D300 used so that you get meter coupling. Might be cheaper to do that than specifically looking for the P version of a lens.

I'm keeping my D90 for now. I might just get a 150-500 OS now and use it until I have enough to get a 500mm f4, then sell the Sigma.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom