What Teleconverters work with Sigma lenses?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 18, 2005.

1. I'm wondering, which teleconverters work with Sigma lenses besides Sigma brand TCs? Do Kenko/Tamron TCs work? Are they better quality then the Sigma brand ones? I'm trying to decide which 2x TC to buy for my 120-300 f/2.8. Thanks for any advice!

2. The Sigma page shows that AF works with the Sigma 2x. I can tell you that it does not work with either the Nikon TC-17E or the TC-20E. Works great with the TC-14E, although the Nikon converters require a small modification with a Dremel tool. I have heard reports that the Kenko does work, but I would most certainly find one to try before you buy, unless you have a guaranteed return policy.

I still owe you those pictures, I'll try to send a couple out tonight for you.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Get the Sigma TC's.... Very nice. I have both the 1.4 and the 2x TC's... in the summer, the only time the 1.4 was off my 70-200 was when the 2x was on it. (during the winter, I shoot some much hockey that it rarely gets used)

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Get the simga converters for the sigma lenses! They work best on the sigma lenses. This is based upon my own experience. In fact on my D70 a buddy's nikon 300 2.8 AFS (non VR) and nikon 2x converter was a tiny bit slower focusing than my Sigma 300 2.8 EX HSM with Sigma 2x converter. The sigma outfit was faster. On my friend's D2H, the speed was the same with both combos, we were both very surprised and impressed witht he sigma outfit. Price was right too.

Full operational, hardly any difference between 2.8 and 5.6 except toward late evening.

Highly highly recommned, I primarily sold the sigma to get VR.

Wade

5. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I'll pipe in here, too - the Sigma EX teleconverter on the 150 Macro is a killer combinaton.