What the heck is wrong with this deer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeteZ28, Oct 6, 2008.

1. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    I rent out some shop space on a farm. When I arrived there today the owner and another person were looking through binoculars at some deer trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

I grabbed my 500 and although it still wasn't nearly long enough what I got is intelligible if not frameable.

So what's up with this almost completely BALD deer???

2917851390_a389b924ea_o.

2. First thing that came to mind was a deer that survived a forest fire, but I can't see an animal suffering burns to 100% of it's body, and surviving. I guess it could just be a VERY old deer. At least that's how some really old people start to look when their time is near. What appears to be an ulcer on its back leg tells me there's definitely a problem with it. How did it move? Did it look like it had any trouble walking, or was it able to run and jump without problem? Great capture. I would suggest submitting it to your local wildlife officer for his interpretation.

3. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Google came up with hair loss as a symptom of CWD and of there being a "hair loss syndrome" that affects some deer, but from what I gathered, nothing to the point of baldness. She looks like a decoy!

4. Mike, this simply made my day!! To funny! :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanx

Kindest

5. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Mange(spelling?) ?

6. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    I ran it through Noiseware: hope you don't mind.
    It looks really weird! Almost disturbingly fascinating! :D 

[​IMG]

7. Wasting Disease, Probably. Looks like a Mexican Hairless photoshoped to me thouigh:smile:
    tim

8. AHHHH NAKED DEER!!!

NSFW!

hee hee

no clue what's wrong but that is bizzare - contact the local wildlife commission and show them the photo.

9. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Any attempt at humor due to this animal's condition is cold, and callous. Show a little compassion please.

10. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    Looks like chronic wasting disease to me.

11. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Looks a lot like a fake practice target to me. Where are the bullet holes?

12. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Thanks for all the replies.

Moved around pretty good. When I took the pictures it was just grazing about 300 yards out, moving around and lazily grazing with it's friend. Eventually they kind of trotted away and it moved around normally, did not appear to be tired or sick.

Nope, definately NOT a fake target deer.

(Intentionally oversharpened so the texture of the wrinkled skin is clear)

2918729112_f3b33954ed_b.

Running:

2918740232_21e8c0942c_o.

13. .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  14. I called The US Fish and Wildlife, and they had not heard of a hairless deer, but would look into it.

The white spot on the legs, is the musk gland, both males and females have them, and it is the first thing you cut off when cleaning a male.

A .270 rifle would answer a lot of questions
    Sorry folks these are just big tasty pest where I live, and deer sausage goes good with grits and eggs.:biggrin:

15. i am never against a good ole' piece of deer jerky...but i dont think i would want any of this fella. could be something wrong with him and i might wake up hairless!

16. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    I'm not sure I'd have any interest in eating this particular one. I have no desire to eat a diseased animal. Shooting it to stop whatever it has from spreading, on the other hand, would likely be prudent.

17. jaboo

jaboo Guest

maybe this deer has a disease called alopecia that the body fights your hair

18. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Thanks again for all the replies. I cannot find anything online about that either.

I have a friend who hunts that land also and has spotted him. Whatever is wrong with him, he's either going to freeze to death or has some illness that could spread. I know this might not be popular with some Cafe members but I don't think he's going to be around for much longer one way or the other. Better to put him down than the alternative.

TomP, no rifle hunting in NJ. There is a land use permit on that property that allows hunting out of season as the deer destroy the crops (trees). 12ga slug will do just as good a job if not better. I doubt he will be eaten, if so, I'm not eating deer burgers at my friends any time this year!

19. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Welcome to the forums :smile:

Could very well be I'll look into that thank you.

20. I don't know much about how fast deer grow, but it looks to me like it's old enough (sizewise) to have survived at least one winter. :confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.