What the heck?!?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Raul_T, May 20, 2007.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    What the heck is going on here?

These 2 shots are of my son playing yesterday afternoon.

Other than a crop, these 2 are straight out of the camera. I just picked up a used D2H and these were taken with that D2H and my sigma70 - 200........I have been shooting with my D70 up to this point.

Aperture priority at 2.8, spot metering. Sunny day so WB was set to sunny.

Why are these pics blown?

505359799_42494569c2.

505359767_0a94ff3da2.

2. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Looks like you spot metered right off of the jersey, which looks correctly exposed. However, it neglects other aspects of the photo when done. Maybe, matrix metering is better on bright sunny days.

- Jay

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I find similar results when shooting with my two D2H bodies. I routinely adjust in some negative EV to handle blown highlights and that seems to handle it well.

4. I woudl not shoot spot, I would try center weighted or matrix, but to be hionest there is nothign wrong with these shots the player is exposed correctly, to get the proper face exposure you will sometimes have to let the backgrounds, uniforms or ball blow out a bit, you can use EV comp to adjust how much to let this happen.

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

+1 What he said.....

6. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Jay, Frank, Mike and Topher. So what y'all are saying is try matrix metering :biggrin:. I am reading the manual right now on adjusting EV. Should I also adjust EV on cloudy days?

I really appreciate y'all chimming in to help me out!!!!!!!!

-Raul

7. i almost never shoot anything but matrix...chk the histogram and u will know what to do w/ EV.
    after the 1st shot u would have seen the histogram climbing the rt wall so set ev to -.3 and try again
    I don't like 2.8 and ev set to low on a real bright day tho, it seems to affect AF accuracy, contrast and sharpness

On a bright day i like f3.5-f4 and ev = -.3 or -.7

8. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Randy...........I will certainly play with those settings!