What the ???? New Ricoh camera.

This statement is the only plus I see...

"The camera unit slides easily onto the camera module and then snaps into place. And because each camera unit is thoroughly sealed, dust and dirt considerations are null and void."

No sensor cleaning.. ever?

every time you swap lenses you are swapping out the whole working guts of the camera.....what lens you choose also decides what sensor size you will be using.....not a camera I would want to mess with.....as normal for Ricoh lately the cam ain't cheap..the basic body with 10-24 is probably not bad at 579.00$$ but what is the price of the rest of the lenses and accessories......

Ah, the GXR. The GXR's not new at all, came out in '09. The idea is simple, it's a compact modular camera. Each module is a lens/sensor tuned combo so you get ideally the best performance possible for that combo. The mundane stuff like the grip, LCD, flash etc. stay in the base and you add the modules as needed. Theorectically, you could have the camera for years and years, and if they make a new module later on you in effect have a whole new camera with current imaging tech, but w/o having to buy a whole new cam again.

It may seem odd, but Ricoh is a company that is very photographer oriented and has no problem making niche products that are off the beaten path, but that are very high quality, very photographer friendly, and cater to more advanced photogs in general. Keep in mind - the GXR had an APS-C sensor in a compact format well before Sony or Fuji. In fact, I just picked up their GR-D III compact and it is hands down the best compact I've ever handled.

Well that's my point ArtScott, who/why in the world would you want to buy the sensor and electronics over and over? That's almost as crazy as buying a new body for every lens in your bag. :m72:

..who/why in the world would you want to buy the sensor and electronics over and over?

Those that get sick of buying a whole new camera over and over, or feel outdated straight away as sensor technology improves. They can just buy a new sensor/lens combo for their camera without buying a whole new camera. Think of how nice it would be if we could just swap out the sensor on our DSLRs when a better one is developed.

Those that get sick of buying a whole new camera over and over, or feel outdated straight away as sensor technology improves. They can just buy a new sensor/lens combo for their camera without buying a whole new camera. Think of how nice it would be if we could just swap out the sensor on our DSLRs when a better one is developed.

I agree. What I meant was who would want to buy it over and over just change lenses? I have thousands of $$$ in glass that I wouldn't want to buy twice just because a new sensor came out. What's left of the "camera" is the most worthless of parts; an LCD, a few buttons, and a memory card slot. The brains, the mechanics, the sensor, all in the lens portion.

Now a best of both world system where both the lens and sensor are removable: WIN!

I guess if it's been out since '09 and they are releasing a new model, it has has some level of success. But you're right Chikubi, Ricoh must not mind selling to a limited, niche crowd. I've certainly never seen one out in the wild.

Well that's my point ArtScott, who/why in the world would you want to buy the sensor and electronics over and over? That's almost as crazy as buying a new body for every lens in your bag. :m72:

I think the upside of this system is that you will never have to worry about variances between sensor and glass, as in no sample variation since the sensor and glass are already fine tuned to work with each other. Also, buying a new lens means an instant upgrade of the whole system, without messing with the ergonomics that you're used to. Imagine having the capability to change the D40's sensor with a D3s' sensor, without dealing with all that bulk.

I think I like the system.

I think the point is, in the ideal world each lens would have a sensor designed for its particular characteristics.

This camera provides that, and is a very imaginative and positive attempt to give us something original and worthwhile.

I think Ricoh should be applauded for being brave and creative.

I think the point is, in the ideal world each lens would have a sensor designed for its particular characteristics.

This camera provides that, and is a very imaginative and positive attempt to give us something original and worthwhile.

I think Ricoh should be applauded for being brave and creative.

I don't think the sensor is designed for the lens, it seems designed to keep the lens small - thus, the longer the zoom, the smaller the sensor.

Seems to me they could have used an APC-C as a constant sensor, then just had zoom lenses that use a crop portion of the sensor, but I'm sure there are other factors.

I love when companies do something different, successful or not. We don't need another point and shoot.

I don't think the sensor is designed for the lens, it seems designed to keep the lens small - thus, the longer the zoom, the smaller the sensor.

Seems to me they could have used an APC-C as a constant sensor, then just had zoom lenses that use a crop portion of the sensor, but I'm sure there are other factors.

I love when companies do something different, successful or not. We don't need another point and shoot.

No, the sensors and image processors are significantly different for each lens, even having different resolutions, and according to Ricoh, are optimised for each lens. This seems to make a lot of sense.

No, the sensors and image processors are significantly different for each lens, even having different resolutions, and according to Ricoh, are optimised for each lens. This seems to make a lot of sense.

Yes, they're optimized of course, but I think the driving factor is lens size - the primary reason the 28-300 lens uses a 1/2.3" sensor instead of APS-C is to shrink the lens to compact size.

I guess if it's been out since '09 and they are releasing a new model, it has has some level of success. But you're right Chikubi, Ricoh must not mind selling to a limited, niche crowd. I've certainly never seen one out in the wild.

Neither had I until I got my GR-D III. They must be doing something right though because B&H just started carrying them in the last week or so. Being a niche manufacturer lets you do some cool things I think. I love the GR-D so far.

BTW, the GXR has a new module planned for release this summer - Leica M-mount APS-C. There's your interchangeable sensor with interchangeable lenses.

One thing too, maybe not obvious from the pics - the GXR is small. Not paying attention to the lens, it's almost identical in size to the G12. An APS-C Leica M-mount G12 sounds pretty keen.

This statement is the only plus I see...

"The camera unit slides easily onto the camera module and then snaps into place. And because each camera unit is thoroughly sealed, dust and dirt considerations are null and void."

No sensor cleaning.. ever?

You know, dust on the sensor has never really been an issue for me. I'm not sure if that's such a big deal....unless you're shooting in Iraq, Afghanistan or Arrakis. Current sensor cleaning techniques have been sufficient.

so if you have a 35mm module for example, and a new sensor technology came out, you have to buy the whole new lens/sensor module.

I dunno, not a big fan, I dont have problems with dust, and in 10 years my 24-70 2.8 will probably be just fine working with the latest sensor technology.

I give them props for being creative, but no thank you.

if they want to use a modular system, well, thats awesome. However, i would rather keep the parts that are constantly upgraded (body electronics and sensor) seperate from the lenses which dont hit the upgrade path nearly as often.

Latest threads

Top Bottom