What to buy next.

I am shooting with a Nikon d7100 and I have a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII, Tamron 17-50 2.8, and a 50mm 1.8. I am contemplating on the Nikon 24-70 2.8 or upgrading the camera body to a possible full frame or the D500. Undecided at this point.

I would like a camera and set up for all circumstances I shoot football, basketball and other low light venues where flash is prohibited. I would also like the ability for a good portrait camera.

Thoughts?

Real Name
Randy
Would you say that over the new D500? What is the reasoning behind the D750. Just a great all around camera with good pixels for cropping? Or very good low light camera?
I don't have a D750 but I wish I did. I do shoot a d4,d800,d7200 and d500.
The D750 is a great all round camera and a great low light camera

Of the modern bodies I've shot with the D7100, D810 and D500 and think you might be best served by the D500. I think retaining the same DX format while getting the world-class AF of the D500 would be really helpful for sports. Unless you feel the IQ available from the D7100 is inadequate (I thought it was brilliant), it will cost you a lot of money to go FX, plus you might have to rethink how you've been using the 70-200 and whether you need a TC to compensate.

The only issue I had with the D7100 was the frame rate and buffer, it would pair well with the D500.

Of the modern bodies I've shot with the D7100, D810 and D500 and think you might be best served by the D500. I think retaining the same DX format while getting the world-class AF of the D500 would be really helpful for sports. Unless you feel the IQ available from the D7100 is inadequate (I thought it was brilliant), it will cost you a lot of money to go FX, plus you might have to rethink how you've been using the 70-200 and whether you need a TC to compensate.

The only issue I had with the D7100 was the frame rate and buffer, it would pair well with the D500.
The problem I have with my 7100 is that when shooting the football and basketball venues here we have some of the worst lighting available. I shot some last night and capped my ISO at 2500 and used the 70-200.. I still feel like there is a lot of noise when I was taking photos later in the night. Not happy with it compared to what I have seen. I really want a full frame camera and although the D500 looks nice maybe down the road after the full frame purchase I may invest when they drop in price but for now trying to cover the full focal lengths out there FX seems like a better choice.. Here is a sample picture from last night one is early and one is later.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by tpd1864, on Flickr
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Untitled by tpd1864, on Flickr

Second one shot at ISO1400 F4.0 and 1/500

R

Ray Vonn

Regarding a camera body, if you have the patience, wait. That's what I'm doing. I'm that guy that will buy something (in this case a D750) only for it to be immediately upgraded and go down in price. Not this time! D750/D810 announcements are surely coming soon.

Real Name
Randy
Regarding a camera body, if you have the patience, wait. That's what I'm doing. I'm that guy that will buy something (in this case a D750) only for it to be immediately upgraded and go down in price. Not this time! D750/D810 announcements are surely coming soon.
+1
IMO it is too late to buy a d750

I meant in my previous reply my intent was to buy the full frame and use my 7100 as a backup and maybe upgrade the 7100 layer with something else. I have paid for a D750 and will be arriving soon. Looking forward to it.

Who knows when a new FX body will be released? I've never taken a picture with an unreleased camera and a lot of folks waited a long time for the D400.

+1
IMO it is too late to buy a d750
but you don't have one Randy.

I meant in my previous reply my intent was to buy the full frame and use my 7100 as a backup and maybe upgrade the 7100 layer with something else. I have paid for a D750 and will be arriving soon. Looking forward to it.
Congratulations!

Real Name
Randy
Who knows when a new FX body will be released? I've never taken a picture with an unreleased camera and a lot of folks waited a long time for the D400.

but you don't have one Randy.

Congratulations!
what I meant was we are too close to the refresh so IMO wait and buy a used D750 or whatever is next

Water under the bridge since you ordered a D750 but the full frame camera is going to cut into the reach of that 70-200 for sports unless you do most of your shooting at the short end you may find yourself needing a TC....and then you'll have an f4 lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom