What to buy, Z6 or Z7?

Nikon have a sale on in Australia at the moment. I'm seriously considering buying either the Z6 or Z7 body with adapter.

The issue for me, which I know has been asked by others many times before, on here and other sites, is whether the Z7 is going to be overkill.

File sizes being the one I keep considering. If I were to use the Z camera for native orchids, then I can easily take a couple of thousand images on an outing, with the majority being focus bracketing. So it's not only downloading and storing the files, but also processing and merging them. However, if I stay with my current setup for native orchids, then I would only be using the Z body very occasionally so the file sizes won't be so much of an issue. Now I realise the decision is mine to make, but with the Z6 having a low pass filter installed, I'm a bit worried about real world image detail. All the bodies I currently use apparently don't have low pass filters installed. What this equates to in real world results I'm not sure.

Before I make my mind up, which should be on the weekend, I'm going to check out owners images from the Z6, particularity of birds and animals. It's the micro detail I'm interested in.

Does anyone who has used both the Z6 and Z7 notice any differences in image sharpness between the two?

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help or not, but you can shoot the Z7 in RAW FX Medium image area, which is 6192 x 4128 pixels - pretty close to Z6 resolution if file size is an issue.

I use both Z6 and Z7 and other than the bump in detail can't tell much difference between the two in terms of sharpness when using either the 24-70 f4S or the 50 1.8S.

Please let us know your decision once you make it.

Will do!

I don't know if this will help or not, but you can shoot the Z7 in RAW FX Medium image area, which is 6192 x 4128 pixels - pretty close to Z6 resolution if file size is an issue.

I use both Z6 and Z7 and other than the bump in detail can't tell much difference between the two in terms of sharpness when using either the 24-70 f4S or the 50 1.8S.

Thank you, that is very helpful!

Purchased a Z7
As yet I’ve only charged the battery, hopefully I can try it out today.
Looking at a number of images others have taken with the Z6, I wasn’t overly impressed, particularly with fur and feather detail. Last thing I wanted was buyers remorse so I opted to to go with the Z7. The basics of the camera are familiar, although lack of buttons compared to my other Nikon bodies might take some adjusting. Figuring out the focus bracketing. I.e. quickly switching it on/off, and tweaking in the field will take some practice, but it can’t be too difficult, I hope. I use this function a lot with both Olympus and Fuji.

Purchased a Z7
As yet I’ve only charged the battery, hopefully I can try it out today.
Looking at a number of images others have taken with the Z6, I wasn’t overly impressed, particularly with fur and feather detail. Last thing I wanted was buyers remorse so I opted to to go with the Z7. The basics of the camera are familiar, although lack of buttons compared to my other Nikon bodies might take some adjusting. Figuring out the focus bracketing. I.e. quickly switching it on/off, and tweaking in the field will take some practice, but it can’t be too difficult, I hope. I use this function a lot with both Olympus and Fuji.
Have fun with your new camera!

Have fun with your new camera!

Thank you, I did! :)

I took the camera with 24-70 f/4 lens out for a spin at our local flora and fauna reserve. Normally I would use a macro lens as some of the flowers we get to photograph are very small. However, the camera and lens focused just fine, it did mean I had to do some severe cropping of the image. That said the results are not too bad IMO. I will revisit the flora and fauna reserve, possibly tomorrow, with my usual setup and photograph the flowers again.

I enjoyed using the Z body, it's similar to the Fuji, and Olympus bodies when using in the field. I did miss the extra DOF, plus the articulated screen on the Olympus though.

Anyway here are a few happy snaps with the Z7 and 24-70mm f/4 kit lens.

#1 As we're in Spring downunder, I couldn't resist taking a few snaps of our Cherry Blossom Tree. Lens wide open f/4.0
48730418647_ed399a34b6_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Running Postman were in flower today
48730239201_2a7070cf6b_b.jpg

#3 Prime candidate for a focus stack. I didn't take a tripod with me, I also haven't figured out how to operate that with the Z7 as yet.
48730239386_4a707d050e_b.jpg

Last edited:
#4 Mayfly Orchid
48729909543_452ed0e5d7_b.jpg

#5 Dusky Fingers pink form
48730238931_2bc28e5c22_b.jpg

#6 Dusky Fingers white form
48729909708_6ca8102c68_b.jpg

#7 Waxlip Orchid
48729909903_f4a44d8c72_b.jpg

#8 Pink Fingers nearly open
48730239866_176c37a519_b.jpg

I was hoping we had some spider orchids open today, but alas they were still in bud. I did get a couple last week at another reserve about 40mins drive from home. It is slightly higher in altitude, so not sure if that is the reason for them flowering sooner or not.

Not taken with the Nikon, but incase you're not sure what a spider orchid looks like.

#1 Greencomb Orchid
48710573576_b30ea2b8fc_b.jpg

#2 Wine-lipped Spider-orchid
48710241663_036746ec07_b.jpg

A few more from the weekend

#1 Wax-lip Orchid (Glossodia major)
48735277786_1bc6e6e2de_b.jpg

#2 Gnat-orchid (Cyrtostylis reniformis)
48735462352_629dc72b3f_b.jpg

#3 Gnat-orchid (Cyrtostylis reniformis)
48735278391_5f0b0d2b11_b.jpg

#4 Pink Fingers (Caladenia carnea)
48734947683_0cc22d0c92_b.jpg

Since I'm NOT heavy into video, if I had to chance to do it again, I'd try to scrounge up enough for the Z 7.
But if you do a lot of video, Z 6 is recommended.

Latest threads

Top Bottom