What to buy

Hi,

New guy here :) and i need a little help. I love taking photos with my phone but i have always been dreaming of owning some proper gear and take my hobby to the next level. Two years ago i have started saving money to buy a camera and 1-2 lenses. I have saved 2300€(+ 50-100€ for a memory card and a bag)i think now is the time to buy something. But because there are a lot of different options to choose from i cant decide what to buy.

What photos do i mostly take: Landscape, animals(pets), street photos(traveling) and portraits.

I cant decide between:
- Nikon Z6 + 24-70/4 S KIT - 2300€.
- Nikon Z50 + FTZ adapter - 1000€ + 1300€ for the lenses, , but have no idea which one can be used one.
- Nikon Z6 + FTZ adapter - 1750€ + 550€ for 1 lens, , but have no idea which one can be used one.

So far i am leaning for Nikon Z6 + 24-70/4 S KIT.

Thank you for all the help in advance.

The Z6 gives you IBIS (in-camera stabilization) greatly expanding your ability to handhold and also to shoot with non-VR lenses.
I'd go for Z6, FTZ and kit lens—which is a fantastic lens. Get a second battery and you'll be set.

If you go for the Z6 and 24-70 f/4 S, it's economically important to buy the FTZ at the same time as a bundled kit if you think you'll use the FTZ later. That's because including the FTZ in the kit is far cheaper than buying it separately later. At least that's how it's being sold in America.

Also consider buying used gear. I recently bought those three items used rather than new, saved about 25%, and am thrilled with the gear.

Last edited:
I've been searching for some used gear these last couple of days and i have found a Z6(6000 shots taken) + 24-70 f/4 S +FTZ + 64 GB XQD card for 2300€ is that a fair price or not?

In Germany you pay this amount actually for a brand new kit (all above inclusive), but with a little patience you can get it new for as low as 2.000€!
Used I would not pay more than 1.600€!

Depending on the country your are from, i would say NO, not a fair price!

Hi Stephan, what stores in Germany should i check? I am form Slovenia and if store is shipping to Slovenia that would be great.

Thanks for the info. Luckily Germany and Slovenia are both in EU and Schengen so i dont have to worry about customs.

Indeed, I had to check! I was not aware that Slovenia, Romania and even Bulgaria are members of the Taxation and Customs Union! Already something learned today!

Real Name
Andrew
If you need the reach, the DX cameras are great for that. I think that really only applies to animals, based on your list. Other subjects you've listed would be just fine with the FX sensor.

The Z6 has the IBIS, which is great to have when you need it. The FX sensor is great to have in low light as well.

I wouldn't be shy on adapting f-mount lenses either. I have the z mount 24-70/4 and 35/1.8 lenses and they are fantastic for sure. However, depending on how picky you are, I doubt that most people will see the difference IQ wise between comparable adapted lenses in f-mount. So you could use a 24-120/4, or the 24-70/2.8 or any of the AF-S primes and still have some great quality. I'm still using the f mount 50/1.8G and the 70-300/4.5-5.6E AF-P and loving them on the Z6.

Adapting manual focus lenses are also dead easy with punch in focusing and peaking features. You get that with either camera so that is a push either way.

While the Z50 is indeed smaller, consider the point of diminishing returns on the small size. While I can use the Z6 as it comes from Nikon, I found that I liked having something for my pinky to rest, so got a Smallrig l-bracket.

I cannot imagine that I would enjoy the Z50 without an attached grip, with it being smaller than the Z6.

Definitely handle all the cameras if you can to see how they feel. I have events where I shoot for 6-12 hours at a time, so grip comfort and balance is important to me and one thing I always check first before purchasing.

Best of luck in your decision.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom