What to charge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GonzoBernelli, Dec 14, 2005.

1. For taking photos in a home for the owners dealings with their insurance company. This will be furniture, paintings and jewelery. I will burn photos onto CD at their location and will wipe CF card and hard-drive before leaving. Never done it before.

For those who have done this, do you charge by the photo? or charge $XXX for 20 snaps, $YYY for 50 snaps and $ZZZ for 100 snaps? Or just by the hour?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks you

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I usually charge by the job. Estimated by the amount of time, including expenses, travel etc. That way, everyone knows up front how much it will be. No bickering later that it took longer, etc. You have to know what you are doing and how long it will take. There will always be situations that take more time, some will take less than estimate. It will balance out. As you do more, you should get a better idea how to estimate more accurately.

3. Having been in the "large property loss" business for 38 years, I would recommend a video be produced of everything in the house or business. I would take stills of only the expensive or "collectable" items of some value. Make sure your clients put the CD's or tapes away from the property they are insuring.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Gonzo,

You are making the photos for them, and relinquishing all rights to use them further, correct? Under those circumstances, you should raise your rate accordingly. As Bay said, estimate your time, charge between $50 and $100 for that time - be generous to yourself, while minding what they will be willing to pay, and charge that way. Depending on how much detail work they want you to do, and how much standing around and waiting time there will be, while they get stuff out, your charge chould be between $150 to $1000. The first is for an hour or two, the latter is for all day.

Work it out beforehand, stick to schedule and for best results, put the agreement in writing up front.

5. Chris,
    Yes, I will be relinquishing all rights. I do not want ANY images in my possession when I walk out the front door, because if they should have a property loss due to burglery I want to be certain of NOT being thought of as a potential accomplis. I will want them to witnes the destruction of the image files on my camera and laptop.

6. DinanM3

DinanM3 Guest

I charge $300-$500 for a insurance type Virtual Tour, depending on how many shots and how far I have to go. Nice thing abour a VT is it is a lot more informational than stills (IMHO).