1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What to Charge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Sep 30, 2008.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I was asked by a local hardwood floor company to take all the pictures of their installations. Please let me know about charging and how to do it.
    I have never done anything for 'pay' before so don't have a clue how to charge. Also, want to be fair to me and I suspect I'd 'short change' myself inorder to be a 'nice guy'..

So help me if you can. And also how do you charge for mileage?

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gaye :

Can't answer the other one, but mileage is easy. Use the IRS rate, which is 58.5 cents/mile currently (IRS Site).

John P.

3. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

You need to charge what your time is worth to you. If you look at photography sites, photographers are charging anywhere from 45 - hundreds per hour. So it really depends on you personally and what you want to come from it. Will your name be credited on the photos? Will you print the photos for an additional fee or will they?) Are you giving them copyright? Those are a few things to consider that may help you decide.

4. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Photography license fees are calculated based on client usage, not by time. The creative fee takes into account the complexity and time required to take the photos, edit and make selections, process them, prepare them for delivery, and deliver them to the client. Some contracts show creative fees and license fee as separate line items. Others combine them into a single line item. I personally combine them.

Usage rights can be a very complex subject to navigate with clients. Local businesses often don't understand how rights management and licensing of photography work. They may want rights for brochures, broadcast rights for TV commercials, advertising rights to print advertisements and mailings, product material and packaging rights, point of sale display rights, etc, etc. You need to know how they intend to use the photographs, then use a tool like fotoQuote to generate a license fee that includes all of the uses they name.

Once you have all the rights usage fees, you need to calculate your own creative fee based on how difficult it will be for you to capture and process the photographs, prepare them for delivery, and get them to the client. At this point you can now generate a written license agreement. You need a written license agreement that documents in detail the uses granted under the agreement.

The license agreement needs to state (a) the specific rights granted (who, what, when, where, why), (b) the photographs are the sole property of the photographer, (c) the photographer retains all copyrights to the photographs, and (d) any additional uses not listed above require a separate license agreement and license fee to be negotiated with the photographer.

Is this a local flooring store or a national chain with a local franchise? That will tell you how deep their pockets are, and how broadly they might end up using the photographs.

For anyone who wants to get into licensing photographs, please do yourself and all photographers and favor and purchase the book "Licensing Photography" by Richard Weisgrau and Victor S. Perlman. They discuss every aspect of photo licensing that you could ever imagine, and they include sample license agreements that incorporate all of the elements they discuss in the book.

5. Walter,

Thanks for the excellent information and book suggestion.

Regards,

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    John,
    Thanks for the mileage information. I was about to call our accountant about what that IRS rate is.....so that helps much.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Liv and Walter,
    Thank you for taking the time to offer information to me. I appreciate every word and will now do some serious thinking about this.

And, Walter, thanks also for that excellent book's title. You linked right to the book in Amazon so very easy to order.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gaye :

Well, glad to help where I can. Since I travel something like 80 - 90% of my life on business, this was well within my meager talents to identify and post as I charge people for my miles each and every month... :wink:

And post a photo or six, eh ? I'm always inspired by the images that you find... :biggrin:

John P.

9. Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful response, very valuable, thank you!

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Walter,
    Again I thank you!

This is a local company but I still must think hard about the license agreement...I ordered the book too.

John,
    Does it matter that my Sequoia SUV is a gas guzzler?:smile:\
    Have to have it to hold all my gear plus it serves as an extra closet....
    Thanks again !

11. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York

Excellent response, this should become a sticky here!

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I hope the 'moderator' for this forum considers making it a 'sticky'...it's valuable information and should be read by all.

13. Thanks for your suggestion to make Walter's response a sticky. I will bring this up with the other moderators.

14. Gordon what would be great is to have a "pro" sub forum where these questions can be answered or referred to - or create a tutorial on licensing and pricing as well as photo contract... just an idea.

15. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

I Wouldnt Worry About Creative Rights To Pictures Of Hardwood Floor Instalations.or Worry About Copyright Infringments.id Sell All Pictures And Rights For A Set Fee Per Job.

16. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I would not do that. Suppose the local guy gets bought up by major chain XYZ. Now major chain XYZ has free use of your pictures for national promotions, etc. You have to be forward thinking about these things. What may seem to be inconsequential today could cost you a fortune later in lost revenue.

Thanks for all the positive responses to my post. I have granted
    NikonCafe permission to include it in the Tutiki.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.