What to charge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lbhs_rwb, Jul 5, 2007.

1. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Ok, so a friend of a friend wants me to do some pictures for her. She is a singer, who apparently was/is famous-ish in the UK. I'm not sure exactly what she wants to use them for, but I need some help with what to charge. 25 dollars per hour is my standard for the shoot, and a CD for getting personal prints. How much extra would you suggest if she wants to use them for publicity reasons? And what other permissions should I allow/disallow her to use them for?

2. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Also, I dont know how it plays in, but she would want retouching done to (especially for close up portraits)

3. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Can't anyone help me with this?

4. Micah,

The type of usage for a photo is the main factor in determining how much you should charge, and also helps in drawing up a licensing agreement that specifies what the customer can and can't use the images for. If you don't know what she's planning on doing with them, then I don't know what to suggest.

If you can get an idea of the usage, here's a link with some sources that can help you determine pricing:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110971

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Thanks for the link. I believe that she will be using them on 1. her website 2. brochure/handouts. The pictures may also appear in a video. Again, i'm not positive. But for a young photographer, such as I, do you have any guesstimates for different scenarios? I'd like to be able to give her a quote pretty quickly, if not while we're discussing it. Obviously, I also want to know what standard would be...so that I don't get ripped off, or accidentally try and rip her off...

6. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Alright, I found out that she wants them for publicity, but nothing that will make her any money, such as CD covers. For about an hours time of shooting, touch ups, and a CD, do you think that $40 is decent?

7. Doesn't seem enough to me, consider that you will spend at least twice as long doing the after match work, retouching etc. I would think that you would want about $150 for that. Value yourself and others.

8. Ya, Even just an hour shooting will be 2 hours editing (minimum, considering touch ups, Also an agressive noise reduction can work wonders for skin, and you can history brush the detailed areas you want to save) If any transportation or extra fees are incured be sure to factor that in aswell.

People ask me what I charge all the time, And I just say 40$ an hour, Its a good flat number to give someone, And It is high enough to scare off the freeloaders, but not too high to take away potential serious customers. I'm also flexible from that point, And I usually have to explain that the pictures do need editing after I push the shutter. For those that don't think so I just quote an hour to transfer to a CD and for misc travel time. (And they get the JPG's)

Thats just for personal use though.. And I still end up owning the photographs.

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    75$ per hour photography
    25$ per hour processing

and CD covers DO make her money.

10. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    The part thats really unfair for me, is that I used to do pet portraits, over a year ago. And one person I did them for reffered her to me, and had discussed how affordable I am...(or was-packages were dirt cheap) so she already had an idea of what it would be. So I don't want to scare her off. Also, I'm young, so as we all know, people expect less.

I know I would want to charge 150, but I just really think she wouldn't go for that. Another friend of mine (photographer) suggested "at least 55." Plus, there's the fact that she would be a great source for more business.

I just don't know..

For the record, i'm 15, and don't have a huge amount of experience with paid photography (just a few small things). I'm happy with 25 dollars an hour shooting, how much less is pp generally /hr?

Oh, and when I said CD covers, I meant she won't be using them for CD covers. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

11. Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Jan 17, 2007
    Sale, UK
    I guess the other question is, who is she? You say she is/was famous here in the UK. Have you Googled her at all? If she is already established she might be able to afford more money.

12. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    your age has nothing to do with this. If you can take images that fulfill her needs, then you should get the going price. If I were you, I would go for $100 an hour and $50 on post. Her's is a commerical venture and she should expect different prices from someone pet's shots.

Once you set a price for her, you will find it very hard to change....unless you are starving don't sell yourself cheap....if you pet clients liked you, then you have the skills needed to sell your images....remember any transaction has to be a win-win or its not a good deal.

13. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Any money for me is a good deal :D

If only it were like that. But unfortunatly, people have a predetermined bias against younger people, one that is very hard to change. Thank fo the help everyone, I'll let you know what ends up happening.

14. I know what you mean about the bias against young people... My dad can make upwards of $100 an hour for shooting and $40 for PPing (which he gives me $30 an hour to do for him...), when truth be told, not being conceited, I am a better photographer. I'm lucky to get $40-50 an hour, and it is hard to find customers, especially when I meet in person and they ask how old I am; I'm not going to lie.

For the record, I'm 17. I can imagine that at 15 you are having an even worse time. I am going to start working on a stronger portfolio this weekend in order to help get a little more money... I think that will help.

15. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    The only way to even semi get around the bias is if they see your work beforehand...and even so, when they meet you, they won't be too happy being charged a normal rate.

16. Random question Micah, are you doing the International Baccalaureate programme by any chance? I'm guessing by the IB in your name that it might have something to do with it...?

But yes, I agree with you regarding the age bias. I've only ever received a "regular rate" twice, even though my portfolio at the time was decent (although, it will be much stronger by the end of August hopefully :))

I would charge $60/h for studio, and $25/h for post processing and see what she says.

17. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Actually its an "L" not an "I" l'm not in the IB program ;)

I ended up asking $45 for up to 4 hours of work, but I made it clear that it's not my regular pricing. This way, she'll do it, and then once she sees what I can do with her, will possibly hire me again/recommend me in the future.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

18. In the future don't fall for the "If I like your work I will have more work for you" Phrase. Its just a way of conning you out of charging them the regular rate.

You are right about being discriminated against though, That is not only true but very common. An older person is assumed to have more experience and therefore more talent, Which is often true (Stereotypes often are) So they assume they should pay you less. Though Younger people are often seen as being "against the grain" and have unique, more fashionable shooting styles.

I think a late 20's early 30's photographer could probably charge the most based on appearances (if they market themselves well). Whether they have the talent to back it up is different though..

19. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    She didn't say that, it's just how things work...someone else sees her portraits, and asks who did them, etc. But I wanted to make it clear, that if that did happen, that they wont get the same price. Or, if she hires me again, she wont get the same price.

I would have charged more, but it wouldn't be fair to her that she got into this thinking she would be spending very little, and then being told it would be much much more.

20. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Woo...she said 45 is fine, and if she gets pictures she can use, she'll pay me an extra 35 on top! woo

btw..If I do get the extra 35, i'll technically be a professional photographer :D