1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What to do about Nikon 200/F4 AF Macro situation...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by naknak, Jul 30, 2009.

1. So I have looked into other options (105 VR, Zeiss 100/2, Tameron), but I really really have my heart set on buying a Nikon 200/F4 AF Macro. My issue is that they seem to be pretty rare to find (haven't seen one on craiglist, KEH, and honestly not really comfortable with buying a used one on Ebay), and they are completely sold out on Adorama and B&H. I would really like to buy one new but just don't know where else to look. There are also a few rumors that a new version will be coming out since this version is so old but who knows how expensive (most likely well over $2k) an updated version would be. My question is, what would you do in my situation? Are there any other places I should be looking? Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im with on the awesomeness above all other's of the Nikkor 200 4 ED AF micro. Many come close but none surpass for what I need IMO. Not a bad justification hey:tongue:. Anyway, right now Im shooting with a Nikkor 55,3.5 AIS, 105 4 AIS, 200 4 IF AIS. With no tripod mount on the 2004 IF AIS. And the IQ is not bad at all, in fact it,s really good.. But the fact that mine doesn't have a tripod mount ED glass or go to 1/1 without tubes or TC-301. And frankly I want the best. Micro work is so much work and I want to squeeze every last bit of detail, sharpness, contrast and resolution as I can. And like we both agree the Nikkor 200 4 ED AF micro is top of the bunch. Not that many other lenses are better for others.:wink:
    As far as where to get one I have nothing but good dealings with KEH. I know there prices have risen but the service is beyond reproach. If you have a problem with your lens pack it up and ship it back and they will make it right. Right now, Im researching what TC- are compatible and if my P.K tubes will work on the new glass. And than Im going to make the call to my buddy Aurther, or Ken...OO. There all good guys at keh.

3. Thanks, I will definatly keep looking at KEH and I feel the same way about wanting "the best," which is why I am waiting :smile:

4. 3LPCPhotography

3LPCPhotography

Oct 30, 2008
    Canada
    I'd check out the Sigma 150 and 180 for now as I think there will be an upgrade sometime in the not distant future. The Sigmas are very good and IMO can match the Nikon. The only reason I would get the Nikon later is if it has VR, nano coating, and was perhaps faster. Then sell the Sigma and get it, so that the cost burden is split over time and not so heavy. Those two lenses by Sigma hold their value well in the second hand market.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  5. Be patient! I shoot the 200AFD and the Sigma 150 (and formerly the 180's from Sig and Tam). I would not part with the 200 unless there were circumstances beyond my control. I shoot a lot of macro, and I am fortunate to have both, but if one had to go...

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Keep your eye on the prize and let nothing distract you from that goal. There is no other option if your mind is set.

7. gwelland

gwelland

Oct 12, 2006
    Vancouver, WA
    You folks can't be looking very hard because I found at least three on keh.com. I've also been scoping out this wonderful lens for a while and this was the only site that seemed to have any examples of this lens (used).

Try doing a search on Nikon Auto Focus -> Fixed Lens and use 200 as the keyword.

If you're looking for one cheap then you're bang out of luck unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.