What to do - damaged D90.

Today I took most of my gear out to take some photos to see what various lenses look like on the J1 and FT1 adapter. While working with the D90 to remove the Tokina 11-16 lens I dropped it :( .
I saw it bounce on the lens hood, picked it up and tried a few shots and found that it could no longer focus at a distance. The good news is that it's not the lens, it works fine on my other D90. The bad news of course is that the problem is with the D90, the lens mount is buckled and when I tried fitting the 18-70 it didn't want to release it after I confirmed it wouldn't focus properly with that either. I had to use considerable force to remove the 18-70.
Now I'm trying to decide what to do, I don't desperately need to have it repaired besides the fact that it probably isn't worth what it would cost anyway.
Perhaps I could modify it or conduct some sort of experiments with it because besides the bad lens mount it still works fine. It seems to focus ok at 70mm but not at 18mm and wider angles like with the Tokina 11-16.
Any idea how to make lemonade out of the lemons I just received? :smile:

fks

Smash the lens mount in even further, then you'll be able to use Canon lenses :wink:

Have you explored the liquid nitrogen possibilities with that camera? Might make a great astrophotography beast.

lens mounts are among the first parts to be damaged with a drop and because of that usually fairly easy to replace. I'd contact your local service department to get a quote, it might be less expensive than you think it will be.

lens mounts are among the first parts to be damaged with a drop and because of that usually fairly easy to replace. I'd contact your local service department to get a quote, it might be less expensive than you think it will be.

+1.

Either this or sell it for parts... Still worth a bit of cash before blowing it up :)

Have you explored the liquid nitrogen possibilities with that camera? Might make a great astrophotography beast.
What does that involve?

Sounds like a good idea, I'll send them an email and find out how much :smile:

I would say Desmond that you should try a quote from a repair station before making a decision. I had the mount of my 80-400 VR replaced last year, I did not drop the lens, the mount for some reason was loosing the chrome layer. It was replaced at a cost of $50 here in Miami.
Everything has been working to perfection ever since.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I would say Desmond that you should try a quote from a repair station before making a decision. I had the mount of my 80-400 VR replaced last year, I did not drop the lens, the mount for some reason was loosing the chrome layer. It was replaced at a cost of $50 here in Miami.
Everything has been working to perfection ever since.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I agree, I posted it off this morning to get a quote. Hopefully it will be a reasonable amount to repair.

Here is the million dollar question - was it your D90 or Lisa's?

Desmond's wise enough to realize that even it were Lisa's, the camera that would be sent out for service would still be "his" :wink:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom