What to do (dilemma)

Heres my issue guys and girls. Im looking into the 200-500 5.6 to bring with me to Bonneville Utah for Speedweek. I am wondering how it will do on the D700. Now I could pick up a DX camera to fill frame due to Ive read photo deteriorate with crop on full frame.. Any words of wisdom from others who may have ran into this issue

More to the point, pixel density is the relevant variable. For example a 24 megapixel DX camera will put more pixels on your subject than will a 24 megapixel FX camera at the same focal length. An FX camera has to have 2.25x as many pixels to equal the pixel density of a DX camera.

In the case of a 24 megapixel DX camera, the FX equivalent is 54 megapixels.

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
I also shoot with a Fuji XPro2. If I fill the frame with my intended shot, it holds up perfectly well versus my Z7, seemingly better most of the time because of the Fuji's color rendering. For very little bit, grab a D3400 body, they test VERY well. That's the cheapest DX with decent IQ, check your local pawn shops.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you are going to do with your images. Expected usage is the first of many decisions, then you can work backwards.
Where are the images going? Internet, facebook, instagram, etc- you have plenty of megapixels. Actually more than you need. (Assuming you are filling the frame.)
Prints up to about 8x10" you still have plenty of megapixels. Now if you are printing large you may need more megapixels, but otherwise you have plenty.
So really think of what a different newer camera will get you. The d700 is still a fine camera. Now if you need faster focus, are unable to fill the frame with your present glass, want to routinely print 40x60", or some other specific need a different camera may help your work. Without a specific need however, your wallet will be lighter and your artwork may not get any better.
Been there, done that.
Enjoy Speedweek.
Gary

It all depends on what you are going to do with your images. Expected usage is the first of many decisions, then you can work backwards.
Where are the images going? Internet, facebook, instagram, etc- you have plenty of megapixels. Actually more than you need. (Assuming you are filling the frame.)
Prints up to about 8x10" you still have plenty of megapixels. Now if you are printing large you may need more megapixels, but otherwise you have plenty.
So really think of what a different newer camera will get you. The d700 is still a fine camera. Now if you need faster focus, are unable to fill the frame with your present glass, want to routinely print 40x60", or some other specific need a different camera may help your work. Without a specific need however, your wallet will be lighter and your artwork may not get any better.
Been there, done that.
Enjoy Speedweek.
Gary
basically images for internet use FB flikr and here. Ive seen images from the 200-500 which is why I am interested in it. I was concerned about he D700 MP but after doing more research I still should be good for what I need :) thanks

basically images for internet use FB flikr and here. Ive seen images from the 200-500 which is why I am interested in it. I was concerned about he D700 MP but after doing more research I still should be good for what I need :) thanks
IMHO you made a right choice. You have plenty of data for any of the above uses.
Go shoot more. Buy equipment/tools when you need them, not before. If you have a specific need the tool fills- buy it.
Otherwise your wallet can stay shut.
This is coming from a guy that has way toooooo much equipment. I bought a lot, before I learned it often changed nothing.
Gary

So... as long as I fill frame w lens on full frame I should be ok? or should I consider more MP camera
Not that simple.
I find that if I crop tight in the camera, I have trouble tracking a fast moving subject.
So I crop loose in the camera (so I can track the subject), and crop tight in the computer.

Not that simple.
I find that if I crop tight in the camera, I have trouble tracking a fast moving subject.
So I crop loose in the camera (so I can track the subject), and crop tight in the computer.
Filling the frame with a fast moving subject can be difficult. It certainly can be done, it just takes more practice, a lot more practice. Cropping loose is safe, and easier. If you shoot loose and then crop, you will have less data. Your call if that is important. If you are cropping more than 10-15% routinely I would look at how you are shooting and why.
My own bird in flight shots usually fill the frame. But, with that said, I do lose shots due to cutting off a wing tip or leg. But when I get it, it is worth the practice.
Gary

Filling the frame with a fast moving subject can be difficult. It certainly can be done, it just takes more practice, a lot more practice. Cropping loose is safe, and easier. If you shoot loose and then crop, you will have less data. Your call if that is important. If you are cropping more than 10-15% routinely I would look at how you are shooting and why.
My own bird in flight shots usually fill the frame. But, with that said, I do lose shots due to cutting off a wing tip or leg. But when I get it, it is worth the practice.
Gary
Agree about the lot more practice.

Like some birds, in some sports, the players don't run in a straight line. And that makes tracking them harder, when they change directions, if I crop tight in the camera. When they change directions, simple inertia as I am panning causes me to sometimes overshoot when they change directions. Sometimes I can read the situation and their body and see that they are about to change directions, sometimes not.

The other problem is, when I shoot sports, I am sometimes not sure what I want when I press the shutter; the wider play or the individual player.
The coach, team or yearbook, probably the play; the parent would want their kid, the player.
I used to wonder WHY a parent was shooting volleyball with a 70-200, from the front row of the bleachers :confused:
Then I figured that he was shooting tight on just his daughter, and did not care about the wider play.​

Oh you mean the little flash from the top of the bleachers 150+ ft away from the players? :confused:
What I found interesting back when, was that a small flash bulb in a small reflector would put out MORE light than ANY of the shoe mounted flashes back then. But even that would not do 150+ ft. with the relatively slow film we had back then.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom