1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What to do down the line? Suggestions welcome....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by corns5, Jul 22, 2008.

1. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    That's a question I am sure many have pondered in the ongoing pursuit of getting to be better with better equipment. I am a digital newbie, having an old Nikkormat years ago, and loving my new D80 since April. I love my new pursuit, and hope to round out my collection down the years.

I am saving my $$$. Come Sept/Oct I plan to make one of the following purchases to help my collection improve:

Either:

A new D300- most expensive, but if I plan to take my photography to the 'next' level I think this may be important. I think there will be more D300s that are used for sale, as folks upgrade to the D700. Then again practice and education is a must, and that works with the D80 as well.

New lenses:
    either:

Prime 35mm f/2.0 and

Prime 85mm f/1.8 or

17-55 Nikon f/2.8 for a better wide angle zoom combination than the 18-135 kit lenses that I have, and enjoy, as it's ok in sharpness in adequate lighting.

Is the D300 worth the upgrade for me at this point, or should I gather new lower minimum aperture lenses(better glass) first? OR maybe by then (Sept/Oct) who knows. Just thinking it through. I certainly can't afford, nor can I even think of the D700 at this point, not there..... yet! :eek:  But the D300 looks rather pretty to me at this junction in time with higher ISO capability in low light than the D80. I have trouble with lighting, even with my SB800, and am more often than not more content with ambient only lighting in my photos. Experimenting with the flash only at this time, and learning....

Thank you all for your wonderful input!

2. I would lean towards investing money in good lenses at this time.

Unless you have specific uses in mind for the primes you listed, I think I would plan on ordering the 17-55 2.8.

3. I'd get a 17-55. Pick one up used here on the 'cafe. All the people going FX are going to dump their gear. I'm keeping mine, it's so beat up, I'm sure no one will want it!

4. The d80 is a fine camera. You've only had it for 4 months, and I doubt that it's holding you back. I'd think you'd have more to gain from putting your money into good glass at this point. I like the 35/2 + 85/1.8 combo you're already considering. They complement your current kit. Use the 18-135 at the wide end, the fast primes at the midrange, and the 70-300VR for long reach. And since those primes are full frame, you'll keep your options open for the eventual, inevitable upgrade. You'll learn more from using the primes than you would from buying another zoom, and they are much faster than the fastest zoom.

Jmho.

5. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    Lens +1

I'd say D80 is good enough, unless D300 got something that's "Must Have" for you which D80 doesn't offer.... (like metering for older lens?)

and it'll probably depends on how you like your 50mm to see whether you should get a 35mm or 85mm.
    yea, i'd vote for primes instead of zooms too.

6. + 1 on lens and + 1 on starting with one of the primes you note. I emphasize "one of the primes". I recommend picking one, based on what you shoot normally, and then use it exclusively for a while. Force yourself to "see" with that focal length. You will be stunned how much you will learn by enforcing this discipline on yourself.

My $0.02 worth.

7. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    I love the 50 f/1.8, but I even loved it MORE on my old Nikkormat Full Frame that I had. I find to me it's more telephoto, and can't get enough in any 'group' shots. So to go more group I think the 35 would be good, and more close ups the 85 is great. Sounds like the D300 is out for now, with what you all say.... I must say I believe I agree with you all! So... it's between the 17-135 or those primes..... Thank you all so much for your replies! I think my dh would feel a bit slighted if I sold off the wonderful D80 birthday gift he got me back in April too!

8. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Didn't think of that, although I see it posted here often. I am only getting used to the 50 f/1.8 now, and using it more. That is a very good idea! Thank you!:biggrin:

9. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I sold a D80 and got a D300. I kind of wish now I'd kept the D80 and spent the difference on higher level lenses.

10. Go for the Glass. The D80 is a wonderful camera. I had a D70 and opted to fund glass rather than bodies.....the thing I found was "immediate" satisfaction by "seeing" the difference in photos. Plus, if you shop wisely for used items, you'll probably lose little if you find you need/want a different lens, when you resell.

Ted

11. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    I tend to agree with the trend here. The D80 is a great camera, upgrade the lenses first. Since you mentioned that you have the SB800, I'd recommend you check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/ There is plenty of great stuff on that blog and it has improved my understanding of flash and photography.

12. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Ok, Just a short note to let you all know I am the proud new owner of a new 35mm f/2.0!!
    Waiting for it to get here! I am sooo excited! Also I signed up for a Continuing Ed class at the local college on portraiture. Looking forward to using my new lens there!
    Thank you all for your timely advice!

13. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Wow, you're going to love that 35 f2. I just got mine last week myself. I've only been able to use it taking pics of the grandkids so far and some flowers around the house, but I think it's a great addition to the kit.

Where are you going for that extension course? If it's Central Florida, I'd also like to go.

14. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    It's not in central Fla, but in south Florida, sorry, Greg- but check out the local community colleges there, they must have something going on there!

Here's a totally 'black' night shot with some Florida 'thunderings' going on last night. Had lot's of fun with this, like fireworks, 35 wide open here, and long exposure:
    p511952393-4.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.