What to do for gallery pages on website? New window or same window?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my website and I am stuck on what to do with the gallery pages. I am using a flash gallery (it has clickable thumbnails that make the big image appear above it). Should I make these flash galleries open in a new window all by themselves or should I make it so it opens inside of my actual pages (like any other part of the website). The downside to making it open inside the page is the large images will be smaller (as opposed to opening in a new page where it will be essentially full screen). Examples are below...

(Please forgive the colors on the examples, they are works in progress)

604487140_BK7wg-XL.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

604487164_BXu3Z-XL.png

That was my original idea, but I really like the ease of use of the flash gallery. I don't believe there is a way to do this, I will look into it though.

I personnaly hate sites that pop up a new window when I click on a page. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Haha...I'm not a huge fan of it, I was wondering if others felt the same way. I managed to move the thumbnails off to the left so that there is more room for the main image.

Perhaps I could offer a link to view it in a new window (for someone who might have a small monitor). It could be the best of both worlds!

Here is what I was talking about:

605072370_Aiw23-XL-0.png

Obviously opinions are going to vary on this. My preference is to have any clickable link to a larger photo is to open the larger photo in it's own window. That's pretty much the standard in web publishing and people are used to closing the larger window when they're done viewing it. Doing so without thinking on sites that don't open new windows causes site visitors to close your site and have to start over to get to the point they were at when they closed it out mistakenly.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom