1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What to do in Philadelphia ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ob_3, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I am going to Philadelphia this Fri and Sat for my 40th :)  I received an overnight at a hotel right near the Liberty Bell.
    Besides Market Street and the historic sights, what else should I see there ? I will be there with my wife and 2 kids (6 and 16 months)

thanks all

<<<< old guy

2. Cheesesteaks. Eat many, eat often. Fries with gravy or cheese fries.

3. i intend on eating cheesesteaks for breakfast lunch and dinner

i was told Tony Luke's was one of the better, and of course Ginos and Pats will be part of my diet

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Go to festival Pier/Penns Landing...there is tons of stuff to do and lot's of things to see. The kids will love the boats. If you are doing any shopping, head around Market Street.

I usually just have fun walking around and seeing what's going on, there is always something happening and it's always new!

Stay away from Wellington St.

5. alot of interesting people on south street. theres always the parkway by the art museum...tons to do in philly.

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Also check out Reading Terminal on 12th and Arch, the Amish are usually there selling awesome food. Rittenhouse Square is also a nice park for a stroll, if its a nice day there are usually some break dancers out and about.

7. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I will be watching this thread closely. My son was offered a football scholarship to Temple so I think we will be spending alot of time in Philly.

8. devo

devo

Sep 22, 2008
    Philly / SoMD
    FOR PETES SAKE....DONT GOTO TONY LUKES FOR CHEESESTEAKS!! :tongue:

Tony Lukes is known for their Roast Pork sandwiches. Get one of those at Tony Lukes.

For cheesesteaks, sure Pats and Ginos are okay....but I personally reccomend Jims @ 4th & South. I've eaten there many-a-times...and boy it shows. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    +1

10. only tourists go to geno's or pat's. who pays 9 bucks for a cheesesteak?!

if u still want to be a touristy cheesesteak eater, try ishkabibbles across the street from jim's on south street...

11. I have heard good things about Jims also
    this is a def on the list too

thanks all, keep the reccos coming, i leave Friday AM

12. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
  13. i just spent a couple of hours at the zoo today, always fun, but could be a bit expensive if your with a few ppl.

art museum / boathouse row.

and center city in general.

14. sishac

sishac

Jan 17, 2008
    Wayne, PA
    OK, avoid the total tourist traps of Pat & Geno's...nice to say you've been there, but that is about it....walk down to 10th & Washington and have a Sarcone's Special at Sarcone's Deli...lots of prociutto, sharp provolone, roasted peppers and the best bread you will ever have!!!

Also, take a walk down Boathouse Row...you can get some great skyline photos there, as well as watch people row on the river and run in the park. You can also run up the Art Museum steps ala Rocky and once more, get a great view of City Hall from the top. Also, my favorite fountain is right there in Logan's Circle..

I would second (or third, or fourth) a trip to the Reading Terminal...really nice market..and Tony Luke's is for roast pork!!! DELICIOUS!!!!

Don't forget Manayunk too...and old City....Philly is a GREAT town, enjoy yourself, and welcome to the 40 club!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.