What to do with broken lens

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
Hi all,
The focus ring on my Nikkor 17-35 has stopped working (the camera doesn't focus the lens, and even manually moving the focus ring, which is hard to move, doesn't work). I think the glass itself is in good condition. I looked at repair.nikonusa.com, and the estimate is $680 to repair it. I can get a used one from Adorama for $519, so repairing it doesn't make sense (and I don't know if I would even want to buy the same lens again; my photography interest has changed).
I've actually never had a lens die on me before. What does one *do* with a lens that isn't worth it to repair?

Real Name
Ken
Hi all,
The focus ring on my Nikkor 17-35 has stopped working (the camera doesn't focus the lens, and even manually moving the focus ring, which is hard to move, doesn't work). I think the glass itself is in good condition. I looked at repair.nikonusa.com, and the estimate is $680 to repair it. I can get a used one from Adorama for $519, so repairing it doesn't make sense (and I don't know if I would even want to buy the same lens again; my photography interest has changed).
I've actually never had a lens die on me before. What does one *do* with a lens that isn't worth it to repair?
Did you get a quote from a place like APS to see if it was more affordable for them to repair it rather than Nikon?

--Ken

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
Did you get a quote from a place like APS to see if it was more affordable for them to repair it rather than Nikon?

--Ken
I have not. I actually just went to that website, thinks to the nikoncafe "Similar Threads" that showed up below my thread. Maybe I'll get a quote from them (which is free, but still costs me shipping, I think. I'll call them tomorrow)

Real Name
Ken
I have not. I actually just went to that website, thinks to the nikoncafe "Similar Threads" that showed up below my thread. Maybe I'll get a quote from them (which is free, but still costs me shipping, I think. I'll call them tomorrow)
Call them first to see if they can give you an estimated range. Sometimes they can, and sometimes they want to see the lens. Also, you want to know if they have access to the needed parts.

--Ken

Just do what everyone else does on eBay or Amazon, sell it as Like New, Pristine Condition then blame the shipping company.
200.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
Call them first to see if they can give you an estimated range. Sometimes they can, and sometimes they want to see the lens. Also, you want to know if they have access to the needed parts.

--Ken
I called earlier, he said could be $350-$550, and to send it in for a full estimate. That's a wide range, but I suppose on the hope that it's on the lower end, I do think that's worth it to me to have a good wide angle zoom again.

And if it's on the higher end, maybe I'll then sell on ebay for parts (which never would have occurred to me, so thanks for the suggestion, Morty)

Real Name
Andy
I called earlier, he said could be $350-$550
I have had several estimates from APS and a lesser number of repairs. They are a good honest shop, but I don't think it is worth paying to repair the lens. There are plenty of folks out there who can DIY a repair that will pay a fair price for the lens "as-is." If you put the proceeds of that sale towards a new one, you'll save time and money, and your lens will go to someone else who puts it to good use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom