What to do with C1 raw conversions?

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by Allan, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Using the LR catalog system with the SmugMug plugin I rearranged my catalog by subject (bluebird, snowy egret, Autumn landscapes ...)
    capture_1.
    and placed just my tiffs files in there. I did not want the nef files to be imported into SmugMug so I moved them to 1 of 3 folders.
    capture_2.
    So my nefs and tiffs are no longer together but both still in LR.

I plan to demo C1 in the next month. After I output converted files as tiffs, I plan to import them into LR and store them into the appropriate folder. It will then be easy to use the plugin to update my galleries on Smug. I do not plan on using C1 as a data base as the LR catalog works with Smug. I am wondering what to do with the nef files.

My questions:
    1 Should I do sessions or a C1 catalog? I think catalog - see 2.
    2. Should I import the nefs into folders in LR with names like Raw Bird C1 or just leave them in a C1 catalog? If I move them - do I move them to folders from within C1 so the program can remember where they are located?
    3. I may want to revisit a nef in the future. WIll they be there?
    4. In LR I can remove files from the catalog without deleting them. Can I do the same in C1 as I would want to remove the tiff files from C1 after I bring them into LR's catalog?

2. I use both Lightroom and C1. Everything I shoot gets imported into my Lightroom catalog which serves as my digital assets manager. I've tried several approaches to integrating my workflow with capture one, but all are less than ideal.

If I import from the card using FastRawViewer I can cull and star rate my images there and, since FastRawViewer generates the XMP files, the star rating is visible in both Lightroom and Capture One. Then I can then import the image folder into both programs and process the rated shots in either Lightroom or C1.

If I import into Lightroom directly I can cull and rate the images there and, if I want to process the rated images in C1, I export them as Originals (this creates duplicate NEF files) into a different folder which is then imported into C1. This is how I can create a copy of a Lightroom Collection in C1. I don't care to have Lightroom create XMP files, but if it did the ratings would be visible in C1 if I imported the folder there as well.

Another option is to Export as a Catalog. After import into Lightroom I can keyword and rate and then export as a catalog. This catalog can be imported into C1. C1 can "read" a subset of the Lightroom edits and catalog data. It should also work on selected images and collections.

With some cameras I prefer the results (or efficiency) of C1 and I just import all the image folders from them into both programs.

3. I made changes to my LR catalog in the past week to allow me to easily use the LR to SmugMug plugin for the new site I was making. This plugin uploads all files in a folder to SM, but I only wanted to upload the tiff files (having the plugin change them to jpg.) So I decided to keep tiffs in certain folders and corresponding nef files in other folders. I don't know if this is the best use of LR DAM but it is what I did.

Anyway, it became clear to me how I could use C1. I will import the raw files into C1, work on them there, and then export tiff files to a folder on my desktop. I will then move the nef files to folders, keeping them in the C1 DAM (If I revisit the nef files it will be in C1.) I will then import the tiff files into LR (using LR and PS with them) where I will put them in the folders to sync with SmugMug. So i will get the trial, use it for 30 days, and then see what I ant to do.

4. You could have C1 and LR use the same folders so your raw and tiff files are always together. Just export your tiffs in C1 to the directory where the original images reside. You can use tokens to do that in process recipes. In LR you can sync those same folders and bring up the import dialog, and only import the tiffs you exported from C1. This lets you maintain the same folder structure between C1 and LR, and keeps the tiff files with their raw source files.

5. Thanks Walter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    I use C1 as my main RAW converter and then use IMatch as my DAM. I import RAW files into my computer using BreezeDownloader PRO... images get renamed according to the camera body (I use 5 different brands!) and put into my main RAW drive by date (Year/MM-Year).

C1 is then fired up and my watched folders automatically scanned to import the new images. An Import Develop Preset is added that boosts clarity and reduces the highlights. I then go through and cull duds, and edit photos in logical groups. Once complete, I fire up an export process and generate full resolution JPG's to my NAS drive.

IMatch is then fired up and my watched NAS folders automatically scanned to import the new JPG's. Once this process is complete, I rate, label and keyword the JPG's and consider these my final images. I can then share images using IMatch Anywhere with family and friends on my TV, tablets or phone. Since the images are in the same folder and filename structure as the RAW files, I can easily find the originals to make further tweaks or apply effects as needed.. but the exported JPG's are easy to email, export and view from within IMatch.

Of course, what works for me may not work for you... just thought I would share the process as it has been working well for me over the past year plus.... I gave up on dealing with RAW files in IMatch, versioning, dealing with non-updating RAW previews, DNG's, etc etc... In the end, I found going to good ole JPG's to be most rewarding! Full circle!!! :)

7. @Pesto126@Pesto126 – What is missing from your work flow is that your original raw files are missing all this rich metadata you have applied to your jpg files. I use the C1 catalog to do all the culling, editing, add metadata and so forth. Having all the rich metadata at the very top of the food chain insures it gets into every single derivative that supports metadata (PNG files don't support metadata). That said, at least you are applying metadata. So many don't go that far, making it harder to find pictures as your archives grow.

8. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Hi Walter - to be honest - I rarely go back to my original RAW files once they are processed (to busy making new photos) so do not need to locate these digital negatives via metadata very often. If I do need to find a file, I can easily do a search on my processed images in IMatch, and since my filenames and folder structure are identical to where I keep my RAW files, I just copy/paste that path into C1 and voila - access to the image. Might not be ideal for everyone (and I agree having it all from the top / down is best) but it has been working for me now for a few years.

I agree with applying metadata... for my personal library - I cannot imagine finding photos any other way. For events/business - I'm sure a folder/filename structure can work.. but basic keywording should be a part of every photographers workflow.

9. I save all my raw files but hardly ever - like almost never - go back to them. Like Pesto, the file names are the same as the tiff files I have cataloged in LR ,so they would be easy to find on my HD.

10. I do every ounce of editing I can in C1 and have probably only a few dozen "processed" RGB files in my 56,000 image catalog that originated from a raw file. So for me having all that metadata at the start is imperative since that is the file I always start with for output. To each their own.