What to get

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by woundedmallard, Jul 7, 2007.

1. I'm taking the plunge. Sometime in August I'm going to get a little "start-up" cash and try to get a little photo business going. I work part time now, being a Mr.Mom and plan to start quite small so there's not too much pressure in the early going. Once I get a better feel for the equipment and establish some type of groove I may be brave and try to pick up a wedding, in the meantime my angle will be portrait (kids and pets? :biggrin:)and event type stuff.
    I plan on aquiring one or two SB-800 and the SU-800 and hopefully another used D200 from here :smile:. While my funds will be somewhat limited I'd like to get at least one "high-end" type glass, either the 70-200 f/2.8 or 85 f/1.4.
    If you had around $2500 give or take, to play with for lenses, what would you get?

2. I'd suggest the Beast. It's a great portrait lens, and can be used for events. You can probably get one used for around $1000. I'd also recommend an 80-200 AF-D. I've had a couple of these, which I eventually sold for the 70-200. I can't tell any difference in IQ. Focus speed is slightly faster on the 70, and the VR helps. But since you're just getting started, you need bang for the buck. Get a used Beast and used 80-200, use them until they pay for themselves. Afterward, you can choose to upgrade if you want

Beyond that (and I might get flamed for this) I'd suggest a Lightsphere. Those things are really handy, and they soften flash quite well - which is also good for portraits.

If you catch a couple deals, you can probably get all this stuff for about $1700. Catch a third deal on a used 85 1.4 and you've gotten three outstanding lenses for $2500.

3. Thanks Mark, I appreciate your input. Sounds right up my alley, I'll have to look inot that lightsphere.

4. I second that idea of a used "beast" and 80-200 AF-D. The VR on the 70-200 is nice but you wont miss that many shots not having it. I use a 80-200 hand held to shoot drag racing, I dont need the additional focus speed nor the VR, I manage just fine.

5. If you get a used 80-200, be sure to get the two-ring version instead of the push-pull version. Otherwise you can't use it on a tripod.

6. Thanks guys. Looks like the Beast is a definite and would negate having to look for an 85 f/1.4 in the early going.
    Decisions, decisions!

7. True. The Beast will handle portraits well, but don't rule out the 85. I don't have it yet, but it's on my ever-shortening lust list. There are many on here who have this lens and will claim that it's Nikon's finest portrait lens.

Personally I want one simply to take portraits in available light without a flash.

8. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I also like the idea of the 28-70 2.8. Also look at the manual focus 105 F2.5. It is SHARP!!! You can get this for a mere couple hundred if that used and it gives you that telephoto bokeh and angle of view that the beast will lack. My brother has the 105MF and my dad has the 85 1.4. The 105 puts the 85 to shame IMO. Finally if you really wanted to you could squeeze in the 80-200 2.8 or a 135 2.0 or 180 2.8:biggrin:

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    mmm money...
    17-50 Tamron
    35-70 2.8
    80-200 AFD 2.8
    85 1.8 AF
    180 2.8 AF

I know we have over-lappage, but there are reasons. the 80-200 can be very intimidating to the person you are photographing. The 85 and 180 are small and lightweight in comparison and BOTH are razor sharp.

I've fallen in love with the 35-70, thats the only reason I recommend it. Its a great lens to have around. So is the tammy. I have both and use both.

10. Hi Tom,

If I were in FL, near the coast, and starting over, I'd specialize in sunset/sunrise beach portraiture. There are big bucks to be made there.

Camera, tripod, lens, flash equipment, and you're on your way. Marketing thru tourist spots: motels, restaurants, advertising give-aways...

Glad to hear the '200 is doing okay by you.

11. Thanks Jonathan. I must admit, I'm a bit stand-offish about a manual, but I do see your point on the $$$ angle. I'll have to see what deals might be floating around, I'm already bummed about the 85 f/1.4 that's pending sale right now, but that's what I get for window shopping without cash! :rolleyes:

12. Thanks Zach. The 85 1.8 is certainly milder on the wallet. Looks like I have some more research to do!! lol

13. Thanks Stephen! Yep, lovin the D200, thank you much, sir! Got another one? LOL :biggrin:
    Certainly have a place or two that'll work quite well for the sunrise/sunset stuff.

BTW, you left a 340MB microdrive in the box with the D200, want it back? I kept forgetting to pm you.

14. I thought about recommending the 35-70. I had one for a few years, but found it just wasn't quite wide enough to get some shots. It also had a problem of "hunting" in low light. For the most part, the Beast has solved these problems. If I were short on cash and needed a good lens, I'd get the 35-70. If I could afford it, I'd get the Beast. As I've mentioned before, it's the only lens I've never had a moment's regret about buying - despite the cost.

15. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Beast? 28-70 f/2.8?

16. Thanks again Mark. The safest bet seems to be the 28-70. Now I think I'll just have to choose between the 70-200 and the 80-200. Did get to try a 70-200 once and man, it was sweet! Didn't like the sound of a review of an 80-200 AF-S- said it vignettes a bit when wide open (not that I shoot wide opne much). Is the AF-D at least close to AF-S action?

17. AF-S is a little faster, but it's not $600 faster. I think I read it's about 20% faster, but I'm not really certain about that. Besides, there's an AF-S motor to go bad on you. Just get the D-version and don't look back -you won't be disappointed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.