what to look for in a film scanner

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by DrewC, Jul 10, 2007.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
  2. Hey Drew,

I guess it depends on what you're going to do with the scans? Resolution would be one thing; the other would be what the dmax capabilities it gives/you need. Scans for the web would be not as demanding, but if you want to make large prints the scanner would need to give you more detail.

http://photo.net/learn/drange/

Sean

3. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    hmm... well, i'll be making prints from negatives... both 35mm and 120 negs.... i want the option of going bigger than 8x10 or 12...

i noticed the 8600f doesnt advertise a "dmax"... or am i just missing it?

anyways, thanks for the info!

4. I don't see anything on that page that talks about the dynamic range either. I've been using an Epson v700 for the last few months, and for what I paid for it and the effort put into learning its foibles, I still find myself collecting 35mm slides that I plan to send off for drum scanning; I think good scans come from user's skill just as much as the specs of the scanner being used.

5. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    thanks for the info guys... yeah i've read the epsons are a lot easier to use... and for cheaper too?! alright... i know where a chunk of my next paycheck is going...

6. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

another vote for the Epson 4490. Absolutely wonderful scanner for the price. All the stuff I post here was scanned with that scanner.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yikes! I want one now, and I just bought a Microtek 6 months ago!

8. Will this 4490 do an equal or better job than my Nikon Supercoolscan 4000?

Any and all opinions are solicited.

Thanks all.

9. Many thanks for the links.