What to look for in a good portrait pose

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, May 13, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
  2. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Great examples....and a fun post too. I like the big no-teeth grin. A perfect keepsake photo for the family.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Stuart, it's always a challenge to get good poses out of these little wiggle worms! I wonder how I might've controlled the blown areas on their shoulders from the softbox hairlight? I positioned it practically straight down.

4. Very cute.

I really like #2 though. Not as a portrait but definitely a keeper!

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I'm definitely no expert on these things. It looks like the HL might have been a little too hot overall. I think an indication of this is that the hairlight is so obvious on top of her head. I think it should be a bit more subtle. Nothing that most folks would even notice, but for the sake of personal satisfaction I understand where you are coming from.....wanting it as perfect as possible.

6. That second shot made me laugh!! Cute

7. Is it the HL that is so hot on the tops of her shoulders? Any way to dial that down or focus just on the hair. I find the hot areas on the tops of her shoulders distracting on the first two.

I have an entire portfolio of poses like #2.:eek: That what I always get when I say "smile". I've since given up on that approach.

8. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    From a mom's view - I love #2 !!! and if i were buying, i would most certainly have to have #2 -

9. Steve, love these! I love that toothless grin...classic.

Did you meter the hairlight? I find the best results from my HL metered about 1/3 to a full stop *UNDER* the key. These look to me to be about 1-2 stops higher than the key. I don't think it's the positioning, I think it's the power. When I did my shoot last week, I metered the hairlight to 1 stop under the key, and then positioned it opposite the key (i.e. the key was camera right at 45 degrees to the subject, so the hairlight was camera left and behind the subject).

JMHO...

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good detective work !

Come to think of it, It set the HL the same as the main, not metering anything, but then dialed down the main without doing the same as the HL. It's boom stand was malfunctioning, and it was too much of a hassle to take down and bring back up, so I just went with it as is. Thanks JBL! Next time I think I'll also place it on the opposite of the main position too , instead right abouve the subject.

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

call me weird but I like all the 'nots'.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Guys,

These neighbor kids's parents can get goofy poses out of their kids day in and day out without any help from me! :rolleyes: They hired me to get keepsake, pro quality portraits. (actually, we've been bartering for yrs, since the dad is a regular "Bob Vila").

13. Well, you can call me a nut case! I love em all! :wink:

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Diane

While the 1st silly shot is pretty obvious, the 2nd one is more subtle in it's faults. She's got a scrunched up neck, that when tilting her head, created this bulge in her neck, and an open mouth that's sort of an empty void with no teeth showing at all!