1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

what to look for in a used lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by madeofpanda, Sep 20, 2008.

1. madeofpanda

madeofpanda

Sep 8, 2007
    Canada
    Im going to look at a used 80-200 lens today. Im just wondering what i should be looking for before i purchase it. i remember reading that a lens can have mold problems, is this something that i will be able to see just by looking at the lens? or will i have to take a photo and then it will be noticeable?
    Thanks in advance for your help

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Firstly there are many versions of the 80-200mm do you know exactly which one you want? Make sure you're buying the version you think you are!

Secondly check for mold on the elements, look through the lens. Move the apeture lever and check that there is no resistance indicating that the blades are moving properly. If you can take samples with lens and check that there aren't any back/front focus issues with your camera, ideally use the self timer and a tripod to minimise operator interference. Also check the front and back glass for marks and the interior for debris.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.