1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What to see in Old Quebec City??

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by zack baldwin, Aug 8, 2009.

1. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    Heading to Old Quebec today for a small 4-5 day vacation. Anything that is a must see or must shoot? I appreciate any input =)

2. The Chateau Frontenac Hotel, Dufferin Terrace, the Citadel and Basse-Ville just to get you started. :) 

Ronnie

3. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Sainte Anne de Beaupre is about 25-30 clicks outside of QC.
    Place where miraculous cures of the lame, blind, sick, etc. are said to occur.
    Good for a quick visit while driving to/from QC.

4. Can they help this poor creature?
    166027474_gKfVb-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Sorry Zack, I couldn't resist:tongue:) 

5. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY

6. Be sure to see Montmorency Falls and L'Ile de Orleans while visiting Ste. Anne d'Beaupre church. Nice way to spend a day if you have a car.

If you go to the falls, bring gear to keep your camera gear dry. You can get really close to the falls on a series of decks if you choose, but beware the spray. If you have no rain gear for your camera, there are many places to shoot from farther away from the spray.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/...tre/parc-de-la-chute-montmorency_3197018.html

The Island of Orleans is a really neat drive around the edge of the entire island. Nice local flavor, pretty, with some good places to stop in for a quick lunch at a french bistro or cafe.

I always go to those 3 spots the same day when I visit Quebec. I might also recommend taking the ferry at the foot of the cliff under the Chateau Frontenac after dark. Frankly, nothing on the other shore to get excited about, but the evening view back at the illuminated Chateau is memorable. If you can visualize the geography, old Quebec is comprised of an upper and lower part. The lower part is on the river, while the upper portion is guarded by the old Chateau. I recommend going down to the lower town late afternoon, stroll and shop there, have dinner at any of the restaurants there and then take the ferry across and back. it is primarily a commuter ferry, but the views back to the old city are quite impressive.

Last but not least, there is a very broad, very long promenade that runs along the top of the cliff from the Chateau Frontenac to the Plains of Abraham. Great place to shoot the people. Very colorful with street vendors, street performers of every stripe and lots of just plain tourists. A must see.

Quebec is one of my favorite cities to visit. (I live in NY - about an 8 hr drive due north from me) . It is a clean, pretty town with great food, great charm and a distinct "foreign country" feel since the locals fiercely hold on to their french roots. French is the language of Quebec, but everyone speaks English.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.