What to shoot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winnie, Jun 7, 2007.

1. When 'spring/summer' comes to the UK my main focus is shooting macro wildlife, especially dragonflies and butterflies. That is fine if the weather behaves itself but at the moment it grey, overcast and a bit breezy too.

So what would you shoot in those condition?

Maybe it's just me being less than enthused about photography at the moment but I am struggling for inspiration to get out with the camera.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Alex

2. Alex, may I suggest you come over to visit exColonial Cyprus... for a w/e (or more)... :wink:

3. Sounds good :wink: I have just come back from Barbados but another holiday would be great!

I am supposed to be away for a few days next week in Cornwall but the weather looks rubbish. Presumably it's a little warmer in your neck of the woods :smile:.

Alex

4. How about setting up something on a table and seeing what you can do with a still life or a macro of a treasured piece of jewelry, watch or decorative figurine? Bring some flowers into the house, stick them in a vase and play around with shooting them. Experiment with mirrors and lighting, natural light and your flash unit. Shoot some photos of something dropping into a glass of liquid. Make some gorgeous colorful abstracts with mixing up various food colorings and spreading them around on a white background....

There's all kinds of things you can do right inside your own home, no need to set foot outdoors on a blustery, grey day!

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Overcast and bad weather are actually very good times to shoot. When its overcast the reflections are not as strong so colors can be more saturated, And bad weather can add moodyness and dramatic views .

The Wind is always my problem shooting flowers,but sometimes even that can work to make a intresting photo.

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Women in bikinis. I have a press pass for the Hooters Swimsuit Regional Finals in Central Florida this weekend.

7. That sounds good! :smile:

8. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    May I suggest getting out to a rugged piece of coastline? You may be able to capture some dramatic, moody shots in the weather you have described.

-- Russ

9. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Just got through with the swimsuit contest tonight. What a bugger. It was hot, humid, muggy, and everyone was sweaty. Even so, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I spent the first part shooting with the 70-200 VR. That thing does get heavy by the time 37 girls go parading up and down the stage. I'm still downloading to my Mac right now, but this the preliminary views look good.

By the time they cut the field down to 20 girls, the sun was down and I was limited to some construction floodlights and my SB-600. I switched off to the 28-70mm and had to settle for shots at the end of the runway near me. Then again, so did the two other official photographers for the event (both shooting Nikon with the same lens choices).

One nice thing about the Beast and the SB-600 - they do a nice job on skin tones oiled up with Mazola.